[Geospatial] Notes from Geospatial/GIS meetup, November 10

Janet Reyes janet.reyes at ucr.edu
Thu Nov 12 08:11:55 PST 2020

Hi all,

The notes from Tuesday's Geospatial/GIS meetup are attached. The session recording can be viewed here<https://ucr.zoom.us/rec/share/a-4vaM7baAWmj6hOJaqS0QotvI13TcnqOzGXlkyuBWWjZRE1LgrU9SEIcCuM1zvb.Y7RmKoDfUsZpnjmt>. The access passcode to view is   R?JLQrZ5

Our thanks to Candice Mays of Voice Media Ventures for her engaging and informative presentation on Mapping Black California. We really appreciate the time she took with us in sharing the past, present and future work of this all-important geo-journalism initiative.

Coincidentally, on Wednesday I saw this article<https://www.esri.com/about/newsroom/arcnews/better-data-and-visualization-foster-deeper-understanding-of-black-california/?_lrsc=96085027-25e5-47b9-b9a7-ee2691d238a8&adumkts=social&aduc=social&adum=external&aduSF=linkedin&adut=ea> that relates to Candice's talk!

My thanks also to all attendees (we set another attendance record!), especially those who are new to the meetups. We hope to see you again!

The last Geospatial/GIS meetup of Fall 2020 will be on Tuesday, December 15. Shanon Langlie, Director of Marketing and Communications for International Affairs at UCR, will present on "Using StoryMaps and StoryMap Collections to recruit for Faculty Led Education Abroad Programs."

In the meantime, here's one last plug for attending UC GIS Week<https://ucgisweek.github.io/2020VirtualConference/>, Nov. 17-19 - would love to hear your thoughts on it at the next meetup!

And here's Esri's 2020 Digital GIS Day Celebration<https://www.gisday.com/en-us/virtual/digital-celebration> that Canserina mentioned during the meetup, celebrating GIS heroes.

I hope you all continue to stay well and safe, and that you'll enjoy your Thanksgiving in whatever form it takes this year!

Best,

Janet Reyes
Geospatial Information Librarian
UCR Library | University of California, Riverside
P.O. Box 5900 | Orbach Library, Room 128
Riverside, CA 92517-5900
Office: 951.827.6421 | Fax: 951.827.2255 | janet.reyes at ucr.edu<mailto:janet.reyes at ucr.edu>

Web<https://library.ucr.edu/> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/ucrlibrary> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/ucrlibrary> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/ucrlibrary/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/user/ucrlibraries>
[cid:image001.png at 01D6B8CB.7B304080]