[Entm-beu] New podcast series for UCR Entomology

Krista M Zavala krista.zavala at ucr.edu
Mon Feb 12 09:16:17 PST 2024

Sent on behalf of Douglas Yanega dyanega at gmail.com<mailto:dyanega at gmail.com>

Hi, all.

After many months of planning, we have a new insect-themed podcast produced here at UC Riverside in conjunction with Media Relations, called "Can I Bug You?" - intended as a way to provide little-known information AND fight misinformation. We're hoping it will be a mix of informative topics, and entertaining topics. Some episodes will be interviews, others not. I'm very pleased to have been asked to be the main "talking head", while the producer, Jules Bernstein, acts as host.

We're grateful to the folks at the KUCR radio station for giving us technical help and a place to record interviews. We hope that we can attract some attention, and get a body of listeners established. For now, we have one episode out, another ready to go, and a third one being planned, so if it seems a little rough around the edges, hopefully we'll get better as we go along. Episode one is a VERY serious topic, where we interview Mark Hoddle about the invasion of South American Palm Weevils that's wiping out the palms in San Diego, and threatening to spread all over southern California. If you like it, spread the word, and if you have good ideas for future podcasts, we're open to suggestions - the idea is to address things that people really need to know and don't, and things that they DO know, but have been misinformed.

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/can-i-bug-you/episodes/Ep--1-Palm-Weevils-e2fjf8e/a-aaus4t8

The second episode should be out this coming week, on bed bugs and their love lives. We're hoping to make the third episode about myths surrounding recluse and widow spiders, interviewing Rick Vetter.

Peace,

              https://faculty.ucr.edu/~heraty/yanega.html