[Entm-beu] Departmental request for mantids

Robin Doyle Testa robin.testa at ucr.edu
Thu Jan 13 15:47:42 PST 2022

The following message has been forwarded on behalf of Ian M. Wright.

I have a colleague in Alabama interested in getting some live Mediterranean mantids (Iris oratoria) for a project. They're introduced to so cal and generally active in the fall but I'm hoping some are still around. Mediterranean mantids can be distinguished from other mantids in that they have a large orange spot on the underside of the abdomen and conspicuous eye spots on the brightly colored hind wings used in threat displays.

I am also personally looking for any live Phidippus jumping spiders anyone comes across.

If anyone finds either, please let me know at wright at ucr.edu<mailto:wright at ucr.edu> or (530) 304-0226. Thanks in advance!

- Ian M. Wright