[Entm-beu] Entomology Department Safety Update- July 2021

Christina Hoddle christina.hoddle at ucr.edu
Thu Jul 15 09:58:50 PDT 2021

Hello Entomology Department,
I wanted to bring to your attention a few departmental safety updates:

1)      ANNUAL LAB EVALUATIONS

     *   Pam See @ EHS has been doing Lab Evaluations for the main Entomology Building this month.  Thank you to all the PIs who have responded to her emails and set up your appointments with her. She mentioned that we are the 1st department to have 100% PI participation without having to follow up. Great Job!!
     *
     *   She will be moving onto:  Boyden, Chapman, Genomics, Museum, SPI, and CBN for August. She will however start sending out emails this week to set-up those appointments. Please respond in a timely manner and we can keep up our good track record!
     *
     *   If you would like more specific information on how the evaluations will work you can check it out here:
     *   Laboratory Evaluations | Environmental Health & Safety (ucr.edu)<https://ehs.ucr.edu/laboratory/laboratory-evaluation>

2)      TRAINING

     *   Many of you have received a notification about the New Safety Orientation course that launched. You don’t specifically need to do this course. This course launched for ALL campus workers. If you are current on your Lab Safety Fundamentals course, that satisfies the requirement for those working in labs. If Lab Safety Fundamentals is expired though, you will need to complete as soon as possible to meet Safety Orientation requirement.
     *   Remember the required training:
        *   Annual – Hazardous Materials and Waste, Fire Extinguishers, Radiation Safety (if needed)
        *   Every 3 years – Lab Safety Fundamentals
        *   COVID-19 – required for all workers on campus

3)      FIELD SAFETY PLANS

     *   During the audits Pam will be checking for your Field safety plans if your lab conducts ANY field work. These plans will need to be filed with EHS. All the information including plan templates can be found at the Field Safety page @ EHS
Field Safety | Environmental Health & Safety (ucr.edu)<https://ehs.ucr.edu/laboratory/field#about>

4)      ONBOARDING NEW WORKERS
Some have requested information on what to do when new people join your lab to make sure they are up to date. I have included some links below that may be helpful.

  *   https://ehs.ucr.edu/laboratory/supervisorresponsibilities
  *   Guide_for_new_principal_investigators_and_supervisor_2019.pdf (ucr.edu)<https://ehs.ucr.edu/sites/g/files/rcwecm1061/files/2019-10/guide_for_new_principal_investigators_and_supervisor_2019.pdf>
  *   Laboratory_research_approval_and_training_requirement_final.pdf | Environmental Health & Safety (ucr.edu)<https://ehs.ucr.edu/laboratory/research_approval_and_training_requirement_final.pdf>
  *   Lab_site_specific_training_checklist_2019.pdf (ucr.edu)<https://ehs.ucr.edu/sites/g/files/rcwecm1061/files/2019-10/lab_site_specific_training_checklist_2019.pdf>
  *   Training | Environmental Health & Safety (ucr.edu)<https://ehs.ucr.edu/training> for guidance on checking training records

5)      FINDING EMPLOYEES IN LHAT

 One thing that keeps coming up is not being able to find your new employees/students in LHAT system. In order for the LHAT system to “find” individuals, that person must first log in to RSS (ehs.ucop.edu) one time.  The act of them logging in, then allows them to be searchable in the system. Apparently new employees are not automatically added because they don’t know if a new employee will be working in a lab setting or not.

6)      CORONAVIRUS UPDATES

With the new Coronavirus campus rules that are in place this past month, our Worksite COVID 19 prevention plans need to be updated. Each lab needs to have their specific plan in addition to the one the Entomology Department submits for shared spaces in the department.

There are 2 ways to submit one is paper based and one is web based. You can view the instructions here if you have not already done so:
• Work Site Specific COVID-19 Prevention Plan | Environmental Health & Safety (ucr.edu)<https://ehs.ucr.edu/coronavirus/worksite_specific_plan>
• COVID-19 Prevention Plan | Campus Return (ucr.edu)<https://campusreturn.ucr.edu/return-work-guide>

7)      LAB ATTIRE FOR SUMMER - Increasing heat should not mean decreasing safety
Minimum Attire and PPE when working with, or adjacent to, hazardous material use areas within a Laboratories/Technical Areas: Full length pants (or equivalent) and closed toe/heel shoe attire, laboratory coats (or equivalent protective garments), protective eyewear, and protective gloves
Not acceptable in a lab environment: Shorts, Open toes shoes/sandals, Not wearing lab coat or eye protection
Guidance on PPE requirements and UCOP PPE policy available 12 Months of Research Safety | Environmental Health & Safety (ucr.edu)<https://ehs.ucr.edu/laboratory/12monthsofresearchsafety>

If anyone has any questions, please let me know.

Regards,
Christina Hoddle
Lab Safety Officer for Entomology (LSO)