[Enscstudent] Memorial Potluck to remember John Herring 5/9/24

Kathy Redd kathy.redd at ucr.edu
Wed Apr 24 09:34:17 PDT 2024

Please join us for a
Memorial Potluck Breakfast
to celebrate of the life and work of
John Herring

RSVPs are not necessary, just come by for some coffee or tea and bring something to share.
If you cannot bring food, do not worry, there will be plenty!

[John Herring Picture]

Thursday, May 9, 2024
8:00-10:00am
Geology Courtyard
(between Pierce and Geology Buildings)

John passed away suddenly, yet peacefully in March.  He worked at UCR in various roles over 20 years.  His most prominent work came as an advisor to graduate students and his contributions to the CNAS Graduate Student Affairs Center and the programs he supported are too many to name.
Hundreds of students found John to be a supportive advisor and dedicated help to navigate the University on their way to a doctoral or master's degree.
As a colleague, John was always the first to volunteer to help when needed.  He was our safety officer and took his role seriously, but he also had a hilarious sense of humor and dramatics which came out unexpectedly and lightened staff meetings and other gatherings.

Before John came to UCR, he proudly served in the US Airforce and would share stories of his various postings across the United States.
He loved football and his Buffalo Bills but was a fan first of his son's football career.
He was also a "stage dad" for his daughter and spent many hours on set during her acting career in Los Angeles.
In recent years, John transitioned to being proud grandpa and would happily share videos and pictures with us,
telling great stories about the exploits of his growing family.

I am collecting photos and memories of John and preparing a way to share them with his family.  Please feel free to send any you have via e-mail or bring them to the gathering.

Kathy

Kathy Redd, Director
Enrollment Management Center for CNAS
CNAS Graduate Student Affairs Center
1140 Batchelor Hall
UCR
Riverside, CA 92521
800-735-0717
951-827-5621 (direct line)
951-827-5517 (fax)
I am on campus M-F 7:30-12 and 1-4:30pm.  You can meet with me in person, on Zoom, or by phone

Book an Appointment with me! https://doodle.com/bp/kathyredd1/kathy-redd-appointment-calendar