UWP Lecturers FW: Gregory Bredbeck Memorial Lecture Mon May 7 at 3:30

Susan Brown susan.brown at ucr.edu
Mon May 7 14:29:04 PDT 2012

REMINDER: TODAY

Dear Colleagues and Students:   Every year we remember our colleague and friend Greg Bredbeck through the annual lecture in his name.   This year's lecture by Kevin Kopelson promises to be very much in the spirit of Greg's own work.   Please join us this coming Monday, May 7, at 3:30 in HMNSS 1500.  Details below.

The English Department & LGBIT Studies
Present:

The Gregory Bredbeck Memorial Lecture

Kevin Kopelson

Professor of English, University of Iowa

"Dressing Up Roland Barthes"

Monday, May 7, 2012

3:30-5:30pm

HMNSS 1500

Light refreshments will be served

The Fashion System (1967), by Roland Barthes, is this most pleasurable of critics' least pleasurable text. It is also his least personal one. Another problem is that, by analyzing - structurally - the mere verbiage of fashion magazine advertisements, Barthes fails to see and hence understand what images they present. I can imagine, though, how he might have re-written this book, more pleasurably, as a queer poststructuralist attentive to such images - which is to say, the way I myself usually write but also, more importantly, the way Barthes himself, in works like Camera Lucida (1980), later did. And so I will actually attempt that revision for him.

A native New Yorker, Kevin Kopelson attended both Bronx High School of Science and The Juilliard School. He majored in music at Yale and then got a law degree from Columbia. After practicing law, he got a doctorate (from Brown) in English Literature. Much to his surprise, he's been in Iowa ever since - teaching queer theory, critical theory, and cultural studies at the University of Iowa. He has also written books: "Love's Litany" (1994), "Beethoven's Kiss" (1996), "The Queer Afterlife of Vaslav Nijinsky" (1997), "Neatness Counts" (2004), "Sedaris" (2007), and "Confessions of a Plagiarist" (2012).

Deborah Willis, Chair
Dept. of English
University of California
Riverside, CA 92521