UWP Lecturers handbook selected

lstrahan at ucr.edu lstrahan at ucr.edu
Mon Apr 4 13:34:49 PDT 2011

Dear Instructors,

The Bedford Handbook(and an accompanying exercise workbook) has been selected as the handbook for our program for the 2011-2012 academic year.  Thanks to all of you who took the time to review the many candidates and explain your criteria and choices.  The UWP's goals in finding the best handbook for our needs were:

a text that students are most likely to use;
a text from which they will receive the most benefits
a handbook that includes extensive rules and exercises
  on grammar and punctuation
a text with dedicated ESL guidance
a text with sections on bibliography and citation
a text that is not unusually expensive

The Bedford fulfilled all of these criteria at a significant reduction (even with the separate workbook)in cost to the students.

We will begin using this new text during second session of summer school and copies will be available for your study shortly.