UWP Lecturers 2011 Eaton Conference CFP: Global Science Fiction

Rob Latham rob.latham at ucr.edu
Sun Jan 17 23:26:02 PST 2010

This is a year in advance, but here's the Call for Papers for the next
Eaton Conference, in February 2011, on the topic of "Global Science
Fiction." The date for submission of abstracts is June 15. UCR's own
Mike Davis will be our keynote speaker. For the first time ever, we'll
be at the Mission Inn. We hope to expand the event to four tracks and
thus become more self-supporting.

Please post and distribute widely. A PDF version suitable for printing
and posting is also attached. Thanks!

Rob

Rob Latham
Associate Professor of English
English Department
University of California at Riverside
Riverside, CA 92521-0323
Phone: 951-827-1966

Call for Papers

The 2011 Eaton Science Fiction Conference

Global Science Fiction

February 11-13, 2011

Mission Inn Hotel

Riverside, California

This three-day conference—sponsored by the Eaton Collection of Science
Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, and Utopian Literature at the University of
California, Riverside—proposes to examine the ways in which science
fiction (SF) is a truly global phenomenon, crossing territorial,
linguistic, and ideological boundaries in its imaginative engagement
with the possibilities of the future. We are interested in papers that
explore historical and contemporary SF in relation to processes of
globalization, international social movements, universalist
ideologies, multinational cultures, technoscientific networks,
philosophies of cosmopolitanism, neo- and postcolonial politics,
separatist and sovereignty movements, and more. We invite paper and
panel proposals that focus on all forms of SF, including prose
fiction, film, television, comics, and digital culture, and that
address (but are not limited to) the following questions:

How is SF, as a form of multimedia production and a mode of visionary
speculation, linked to the structures and world-views of an emerging
global marketplace of ideas, commodities, and lifestyles?
How have SF cultures around the world evolved and adapted in relation
to the processes of globalization, internationalization, and
multinationality?
How do the legacies of colonialism and imperialism continue to inform
global SF, and how have various local SF cultures negotiated their
relationship with an Anglophone hegemony?
How have the relative paucity or poor quality of English-language
translations served to obscure the fact that SF, thoughout its
history, has always been a global phenomenon?
What has been the impact of the collapse of the Soviet Union and the
emergence of new forms of sociopolitical collectivity such as the
European Union on the development of local SF cultures?
How has “hard SF” responded to a globalized world of corporate
technoscience, multinational research ventures, and international
scientific accords?
Has the growth of the Internet, the World Wide Web, and other
information networks served to further “globalize” SF as a mode of
production and a subcultural formation?
In what ways does SF foster outlooks that promote or critique the
processes of globalization?
  The keynote speaker will be Mike Davis, UCR Professor of Creative
Writing and author of City of Quartz, The Ecology of Fear, Planet of
Slums, and many other works exploring the linkages among social
history, political economy, popular culture, and the processes of
globalization. SF author guests will be announced as they are
confirmed; see the conference website at <http://eaton-collection.ucr.edu/TheEatonConference.htm
 > for periodic updates.
  The conference will be held in the historic Mission Inn hotel in
downtown Riverside (see their website at <http://missioninn.com/> for
more information).

  Abstracts of 500 words (for papers of 20-minutes in length) should
be submitted by June 15, 2010 to Melissa Conway, Head of Special
Collections and Archives, Rivera Library, UC-Riverside. Electronic
submission is preferred via email at <melissa.conway at ucr.edu>.