UWP Lecturers interview with Mark Yudof

Gray Scott gray at scotts.net
Sat Sep 26 12:42:41 PDT 2009

Hello all,

With regard to the apparent disagreement about Yudof's "salary," there are some games being played on both sides of that conversation.

Interviewer: "$828,000 in annual compensation"
Yudof: "My salary is $540,000" (after cutting it $60,000)

Yudof is right about his salary, but that's not the same thing as annual compensation. (As an aside, $540,000 plus $120,000 for housing is $660,000 -- still not anywhere near $828,000.)

At the same time, the interviewer and Wikipedia both falsely suggest his "annual compensation" is $828,000. It isn't. They're basing that figure on an amount reported in the Daily Californian, which does indeed list his first year compensation package at $828,000, but $228,000 of that total is a first-year contribution to his pension -- it doesn't repeat.

(Yes, I know, Wikipedia is <gasp> wrong. Maybe I'll go back later and correct it. That gets exhausting after a while, though.)

At any rate, when he says his compensation has been exaggerated, that's doubtless what he's talking about.

As a rhetoric nut, I have to say I got a kick out of his ability in one answer to limit discussion of his compensation just to salary -- but several questions later, when the interviewer tries to do the same thing with the compensation for the President of the United States (asserting his pay is only $400,000), he calls her on it, throwing in the President's plane and housing. That's pretty smooth. Gutsy, too.

- Gray