UWP Lecturers N. Katherine Hayles lecture, Wednesday, 3 PM

Rob Latham rob.latham at ucr.edu
Mon May 4 08:47:42 PDT 2009

Just a reminder of the next science fiction talk, by N. Katherine
Hayles, this Wednesday at 3 PM in the English Department seminar room
(2212 HMNSS). Light refreshments will be served.

SPRING 2009 CHASS SPEAKER SERIES ON SCIENCE FICTION

N. Katherine Hayles

“Vernor Vinge’s Rainbow’s End and the Macropolitics of Global
Spatialization”

Wednesday, May 6

3:00 PM

English Department Conference Room

Humanities and Social Sciences Building, Room 2212

N. Katherine Hayles, Professor at Duke University, is the author of
The Cosmic Web: Scientific Field Models and Literary Strategies in the
Twentieth Century (1984), Chaos Bound: Orderly Disorder in
Contemporary Literature and Science (1990), How We Became Posthuman:
Virtual Bodies in Cybernetics, Literature and Informatics (1999),
Writing Machines (2002), and My Mother Was a Computer: Digital
Subjects and Literary Texts (2005). She is currently at work on a book
entitled How We Think: The Transforming Power of Digital Technologies.

For information, please contact: Rob Latham (951-827-1966; rob.latham at ucr.edu
).