UWP Lecturers Update on Lecturer Concerns

Lash Keith Vance lashv at ucr.edu
Thu Oct 16 09:16:17 PDT 2008

  Greetings Fellow NSF Members,

  <= /B>

  Last week, Julie and I sent out an invitation for
  you = to email us about any concerns you might have
  for the upcoming year= , especially regarding the
  transition to the new UWP administration.&nbs= p; We
  then held a very productive, two-hour meeting with
  Cynde Sanchez, = Cheryl Brusuelas, and John Briggs
  on Wednesday, October 8th.

  Understandably, many people have = been anxious
  about the transition to the new program.  As many of
  t= he recent emails from administrative staff and
  from John Briggs ind= icate, the last four months
  have been very, very busy.  They have m  anaged--without too many snags--to sucessfully
  launch a very large progr= am.  This is no small
  feat.

   </P= >

  The salient impression that Julie and I both had
  after the meeting= was how dedicated Cynde, Cheryl,
  and John are to facilitating lecturers= and making
  the program work--and by extension, Regina, who did
  not atte= nd the meeting.

  Many= of the issues we brought up in the meeting
  they were already aware of, = but they simply had
  not had the time to directly address them.  Ind  eed, we were surprised to find out that both Cynde
  and Cheryl have a cou= ple of initiatives in play
  designed to really help lecturers in their da= ily
  teaching lives; these depend, of course, on finding
  money for these = initiatives, which is a real task
  in this economy.  Cynde is a real= fighter on our
  behalf, and she no doubt annoys the personnel at the
  bud= geting office.

  The short an= d the long of it is that
  administratively Cynde, Cheryl, and John are al= l
  working very hard, and they want to do what is
  necessary to facilitate= lecturers.  Julie and I
  were not aware of half of what they have b= een up
  to.

  <B= >

  While we were no= t able to fully discuss every
  topic--one topic that is of great importan= ce is
  the potential impact of WAC on lecturers--, we did
  get through the= majority of them.  The
  solutions/actions taken are listed in blue = below
  the topic.  You have received emails from various
  folks about= many of these issues already, but I
  thought we could condense them into= one long email
  with attachments included.

  </B= >

  -------------  ---------------------------------------

  Keys to the E= nglish Department

  <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: = 0pt"><FONT
  color=#0000ff = size=2>Because we are a separate
  entity from English now, we simply do= n't have the
  right to retain keys to their xerox room.  Lecturers
  w= ho would like to have or keep a key to the
  English Department library ca= n go on an individual
  basis to ask for a key.  The English Departme= nt, I
  am told, is amenable to this, but they need to keep
  track of those= keys.

  Access t= o Common Space

  ·        </SP= AN>Lecturer meeting space</o= :p>

  · =        Scheduling of room

  <FONT= color=#0000ff size=2>We now have three
  possible meeting areas (HMNS= S 1103-- fill out
  roster will be posted in 1103; the UWP Conference
  Room= --by appointment with Cynde; and a smaller
  tutorial room--by roster).&nb= sp; This is great.
  Our first= annual Royal Pedagogigical Society will
  meet in the UWP conference room= Wed, Oct 22nd from
  2-3:30PM.

  &nbsp= ;

  Location of Supplies

    *
      Letterhe= ad
    *
      = Other supplies
      </UL= >

      Letterhead will be located with Ter= i Carter,
      Aline Messer, Kathy Moore, Linda Strahan, Cynde
      Sanchez, Chery= l Brusuelas, and Regina, so
      there are many ways to get it.  There i= s a
      legal issue, apparently, in having letterhead
      out in common areas.</= FONT>

      <SPA= N style="COLOR: black">Other supplies (      markers and such) can be had with Aline, Teri,
      and Regina.

      Fax Machine

      </= SPAN>

      <SPAN= style="COLOR: black">We do have a fax       machine located in Cheryl's office, and all
      lecturers are welcome to fax= documents.  We did
      ask about having a common fax machine in HMNSS       1102 installed, but such a fax would cost
      upwards of $50.00 a month plus= the installation
      costs.  Apparently, UCR has to put in a separate
      = data line for the fax, so a normal, dedicated
      phone line will not work.&= nbsp; We agreed that
      if there was a real need exhibited for fax usage
      ab= ove and beyond what Cheryl could reasonably
      accomodate that we could ret= urn to this issue.

      B= usiness Cards

      ·        </SPA= N>Feeling of lack of editing
      cont= rol over cards

      ·        </SPA= N>Lack of knowledge of how to
      get= cards

      <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: = 0pt">

      We can order business cards, and the form to do
      so= was sent to everyone on the listserv.
      Because all card orders nee= d to go through a
      common UCR program accessible only by staff,
      turn in t= his form (and your $42.55) to Cynde
      Sanchez, who will input your informa= tion from
      the form.  Every department on campus has no
      centralized = this function.  The .pdf file is
      included wit= h this email.

      <P = class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0pt">      Lack of Knowledge of Whom to See about Issues

      = Because ther= e were so many things to be
      dealt with the first months of the program,       specific duties were somewhat unclear.  The l      ist of duties of staff is also included here as
      an attachment. </= FONT>

      <SPA= N style="COLOR: black"></= B>

      Copier .pdf

      ·        <= /SPAN>Lecturers want to create .p      dfs on the copier

      <P = class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0pt">      Some lecturers have asked about the abili= ty to
      scan .pdf files using our UWP copier (HMNSS
      1102).  Happily, = it does have this ability,
      and all of your email addresses should have b      een entered into the machine now.  To save the
      staff some time, I h= ave prepared a short .pdf
      orientation (with pictures) on how to operate       the scan function.  A photocopy of these
      instructions has also been= placed on the copy
      machine as well.  This is= included as a .pdf
      attachment with this email.

      <= SPAN style="COLOR: black">Anxiety about
      Using Blackboard

      A fe= w lecturers have indicated some misgivings
      about transitioning to Blackb= oard.  For those
      who want one-on-one training, just contact me,
      Kei= th Vance, at lashv at ucr.edu.&nbs= p; I am
      including here a brief orientation to usin= g
      Safe Assignment for those of you who might not
      have received it.</FONT= >

      <o= :p>

      Gatekeeper Function
      · &nb= sp;      Distinct dissatisfaction and
      perceived unavailability of = Cynde and Cheryl
      because of Regina gatekeeper function<= /B>

      ·  &nbs= p;     Unrest about the power dynamic
      this sets up</B= >

      In pr= evious years, there was not enough money
      to create a position like Regin= a's.  As the
      "Staff Functions" document indicates, Regina is
      there = to facilitate the flow of lecturers to
      the proper person to address the = issue, not to
      gatekeep.  This was the intent.  So, with the
      ne= w "Staff Functions" document, everyone
      should know where to go for what = issue.  Both
      Cynde, Cheryl, and John indicated that they are
      availa= ble most times during every business day
      for discussions with lecturers.
      <S= PAN style="COLOR: black">

       </= P>

      <SPAN style="COLOR: = black">The following
      issues were not dealt with at= the meeting.  It
      was deemed that these were more issues that the
      U= niversity Writing Committee should deal with:

      <P = class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0pt">=

      <SP= AN style="COLOR: black">Involvement with
      Exams and Student-Related Iss= ues

      Scheduling and Courses: Anxiety about<= o:p>

      <S= PAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY:
      Symbol; mso-fareast-font-family:= Symbol;
      mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol;
      mso-bidi-font-weight: bold"><SPAN      style="mso-list: Ignore">·     =    Number      of courses people receive

      ·        = Rank order list (if= people know of
      it)

      </B= >

      So, Julie and I hope this email finds you well.
      W= hile the sky may be falling in the economy,
      some good things are ha= ppening within the
      confines of the UWP.

      K= eith and Julie

Lash Keith Vance, M.A., Ph.D., M.Ed
Director of Computer-Assisted Instruction
Lecturer Representative
University Writing Program
University of California, Riverside

Office: 1103C HMNSS