UWP Lecturers Clarification of Drop-In Tutorial Policy

John Briggs John.Briggs at ucr.edu
Thu Oct 9 16:54:45 PDT 2008

TO:       Instructors and TAs

    As I mentioned at the orientation, students in the writing program
should be seeing their own instructors for tutorial assistance. You might
wish to alert struggling students to the availability of drop-in tutoring in
the Learning Center.  (Keep in mind that the tutors in the LC are trained
undergraduates.)  There will be some very limited tutorial time in 1103 with
experienced graduate students once the schedule jells next week.  (Stay
tuned for an announcement of available hours.)   But remember that the
drop-in service in 1103 is primarily for students in courses that do not
provide expert writing instruction.  If some of your students are unable to
meet with you during your office hours because they are attending another
class, consider ways to apportion (not multiply) your office hours so that
they are flexible enough for you to work with some students online and/or by
appointment.  Please do not refer students to 1103 because they find your
office hours inconvenient.  We do not have the resources to meet them on
that basis.

John Briggs