[Englecturers] Request for help revising the St. Martin's Guide to Writing - Part I

Rise Axelrod rise.axelrod at ucr.edu
Mon May 19 17:23:34 PDT 2008

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

As some of you may know, Charles Cooper has retired and I am looking for
help as I plan the next edition of the St. Martin's Guide to Writing. I need
help finding new professional and student readings as well as advice on how
to improve the book -- and I can pay you for your assistance.
This is the first of two emails I will be sending asking for your help. This
email tells how you can help me find new readings for the 9th edition of the
Guide.
I'm looking for new readings by professionals and students for every chapter
in Part One except Chapter 5, Explaining Opposing Positions. I will revise
Chapter 5, but haven't yet decided on its focus.

Note, too, that for Chapter 10, Interpreting Stories, I am thinking of
replacing "Araby" and the two student essays by Ratinov and Crane that
analyze Joyce's story. The student essays you send me should be about one of
the short stories currently in Chapter 10 or about a different brief and
accessible short story that you would recommend. Please send me a copy of
the story along with the student essays.

For Readings by Professionals

Bedford/St. Martin's will pay you $100 to provide me with copies of 5 or
more professionally published readings you'd recommend for SMG, 9th edition,
which meet the following criteria:

   - They reflect the basic features of the genre.
   - They are current, written within the last few years.
   - They reflect diversity.
   - They are relatively brief and accessible to your students.
   - They are likely to stimulate class discussion.

Please submit two copies of each reading: one copy should be unmarked, and
the second copy should include the following information:

   - title, author, publication information, including the url if published
   online
   - any information about the author included with the reading
   - indication of the Part One chapter in which the reading belongs
   - your annotation of the readings, highlighting their basic features

I need these reading recommendations by mid-June, or the end of June at the
latest. After receiving your recommendations, I will carefully evaluate them
for possible inclusion in the 9th edition, and Bedford/St. Martin's will pay
you an additional $50 for each reading that we actually publish in the 9th
edition.

For Student Essays

As always, I am also looking for student essays to include in the upcoming
edition of the St. Martin's Guide or in the next edition of Sticks and
Stones.  If we publish a student essay you recommend to us, we will pay both
you and the student $100 each.  If you have access to any of the student's
writing process material, please send that to me along with the finished
essay for possible use as writer-at-work illustrations. The permission form
for student essays is attached.

The student essays can come from any of your classes taught at UCR or at
another campus.

Getting the Essays to Me

You can leave the essays in my UCR mailbox or email them to me as a word
attachment or as a pdf.

If you have any questions or comments, do not hesitate to email me at
rise.axelrod at ucr.edu.

I want to thank those of you who have helped me with student essays and
advice in the past. I look forward to working even more closely with you in
future.

Sincerely,
Rise
--
Rise B. Axelrod
McSweeney Professor of Rhetoric and  Teaching Excellence
rise.axelrod at ucr.edu