[Englecturers] Update by Lecturer Representatives

Lash Keith Vance lashv at ucr.edu
Tue Mar 4 15:09:23 PST 2008

  Greetings Fellow Lecturers,

  It has been a while since you have heard from your
  lecturer representatives, so we thought we would let
  you know what has been happening.  Please forgive
  the cursory format, but it is the 9th week, and
  students we have never seen are coming out of the
  woodwork now.

  1) The Committee on Writing Courses (COWC) has been
  meeting for the last month to review the six-year
  review files (now called Excellence Reviews) of
  seven members of our department who are seeking
  continuing appointment.  There are a further three
  post-six lecturers up for merit.  Prof. Ganim is
  chairing this committee.

  2) The COWC may be the organizational entity
  responsible for working on the rank order list for
  pre-six lecturers, but it is still uncertain.  Prof.
  John Briggs is still in the process of assembling
  the University Writing Program oversite committee
  (i.e. the new COWC) that will have both Senate and
  Non-Senate faculty.  However, no one knows whether
  it will be constituted in time.

  Rest assured, however, that we WILL have lecturer
  representation on this new committee, and in a
  number of discussions with Prof. Briggs he has
  affirmed that it is imperative to the success of our
  program to have lecturer representation as part of
  the governing body.

  3) The UWP will be hiring new administrative
  personnel (at least one) in the next month or so,
  and they will be responsible for organizing the new
  office.

  4) Tutors have already begun meeting students for
  our new Writing Center.  This is a pilot program--so
  far--that targets specific students in specific
  classes with a ground-up approach.  It is our
  understanding that the program will evolve as budget
  and time permit to encompass general tutorials as
  well.

  5) QUESTION.  Julie Brett and I have received
  numerous questions about the status of the workload
  committee, the eight courses for next year, and the
  possibility of reduction to seven courses in Fall,
  2008.  We have heard conflicting reports as to what
  the University has suggested.  Since we are not
  serving on this committee, we would like to invite
  Ben Harder, our union president, to fill everyone in
  on any new developments (sorry to make more work for
  you, Ben).

  Best Keith and Julie

Lash Keith Vance, Ph.D., MEd
Director of Computer Assisted Instruction
Department of English
University of California, Riverside

Office: 1103C HMNSS
Phone: 951-827-4832