[Englecturers] Looking for INTS in all the wrong places? And tell your students!!

Benedict Jones bkjones at san.rr.com
Sun Jan 6 12:43:33 PST 2008

Hi, everybody. I just posted a message to the graduate listserv about
how to find INTS, but it occurred to me that more people might read my
message if I gave it a more useful subject line. And I thought I might
duplicate the message to the lecturers' listserv as well. So I will
repeat what I said there, but with an additional suggestion: if you use
Blackboard (iLearn), you might want to save your students the same
headache you might be experiencing in trying to find a building that is
confusingly labeled on the campus map. If you are teaching in INTS,
please post a notice to the announcements page AND consider sending out
a mass e-mail to all of your students today, right now. A few students
will read it and be saved the hassle of getting lost and frustrated on
the first day of classes. You can't save them all, but maybe you can
save some of them.

INTS, short for CHASS Interdisciplinary Building South, is only one part
of the new CHASS Interdisciplinary Building. Contrary to what I said
earlier, the building CAN be found on the campus map, but not under the
code INTS. Apparently, you have to look for CHASS I&R Facility, or
CHIRF. According to the map, it's Building 372, sort of between the Arts
Building and the Physical Education Building. INTS, as you might guess,
is the south building. The north building is INTN.

The campus map, with CHIRF/372 right in the middle, is here:
<http://www.campusmap.ucr.edu/campusMap.php?loc=CHIRF>.

I spooked around in INTS just after it was constructed; but at the time,
I wasn't sure that it was INTS. My classroom is 2138; that seems to be
on the second floor. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a stairwell--it was
late and I was hungry, so I gave up easily--and the elevators weren't
working yet. But the rooms appear to have four-digit numbers; I remember
classrooms on the first floor started with "1" and only assume that
second-floor rooms start with "2." It's a reasonable assumption, I think.

I hope this info helps. It certainly would be nice if the classroom
abbreviation were the same as the building abbreviation, wouldn't it?

Best,
Benedict Jones