[Englecturers] French Film Festival

John Ganim john.ganim at ucr.edu
Tue Apr 15 11:00:53 PDT 2008

UCR French Film Series Starts April 29
Tournées Festival will feature five films at University Village.
(

RIVERSIDE, Calif. – The Tournées Festival, UC
Riverside’s five-week series of French and
francophone films, begins Tuesday, April 29, at
the Metropolitan University Village Cinemas.

The Tuesday-evening film series is organized by
<http://www.newsroom.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/http://www.facultydirectory.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/pub/public_individual.pl?faculty=2426>Michelle
Bloom, associate professor of French and
comparative literature, with the assistance of
Anna Gutierrez, a recent UCR graduate who majored
in French. The festival is sponsored by UCR’s
College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences
and the departments of Comparative Literature and
Foreign Languages, Creative Writing, Media and
Visual Culture, and Women’s Studies. French
Cultural Services also helped sponsor the festival.

The Tournées Festival is named after the French
word for shooting a film – tournage – and
tournée, which means a round or circuit. The
films, which are all subtitled, will be shown
every Tuesday night from April 29 through May 27
at 7:30 p.m. The cost is $7 for general admission
and $5 for seniors and students with identification.

This year’s theme, “Greatest Hits,” reflects the
choice of a diverse group of films that were all
box-office and/or critical successes when they
were released in France, Bloom said.

“We are showing an array of films ranging from
the ensemble film ‘Paris je t’aime’ to ‘Lady
Chatterley,’ a new adaptation based on D.H.
Lawrence’s provocative novel, to the francophone
film ‘Bamako,’ to the animated film about the
Iranian revolution, ‘Persepolis,’ based on the
director’s graphic novels,” Bloom said. “Our
second film, ‘Indigenes’ (‘Days of Glory’) was a
smash hit in Paris. We’re really excited about
the films we were able to get our hands on. It’s
going to be an exciting and accessible festival,
representing different cultures and genres.”

The schedule of films follows:

April 29: “Paris, Je t'aime”

May 6: “Lady Chatterley”

May 13: “Indigènes”