[Englecturers] English Discussion (Laboratory Info) and Congratulations

Lash Keith Vance lashv at ucr.edu
Fri Jan 5 13:58:45 PST 2007

  Greetings All:

  English L Course Information---

    o The English Discussion courses are now
      officially called L or Laboratory courses.

    o Students should register, if they haven’t done
      so already, for their appropriate L course
      (either for BW3, Eng 4, or Eng 5).

    o The L courses this quarter will have ALL NEW
      MATERIAL, so students won’t be repeating
      anything.  In fact, this quarter’s emphases
      are on reading comprehension and proofreading
      skills.

    o Students DO NOT have to purchase any new books
      for the Laboratory course this quarter.  They
      will continue using the texts from Fall quarter.

    o Please ask your students to register for their L
      course as soon as possible.

  Congratulations and Thanks—

  As lecturer representative, I would like to take
  this opportunity to congratulate Dr. Linda Strahan
  and Dr. Kathy Moore on the publication of the second
  edition of Write It Review.  This is a greatly
  enhanced text that not only provides a thorough
  process approach to reading and writing, it also
  includes numerous additional readings.  Bravo.

  Dr. Stephanie Kay (Grievance Steward),  Dr. Sandy
  Baringer (Union Lawyer), Dr. Ben Harder (Union
  President) all deserve special thanks for their
  efforts on the part of the union.  Stephanie and
  Sandy have been working industriously behind the
  scenes.  Many of us don’t realize how many labor
  violations they have grieved in the past year (AND
  WON) against an array of university lawyers, for
  they not only represent the English Department, they
  also represent all departments on campus!  Likewise,
  Ben Harder will be entering negotiations with the
  University later this month.  Many of you attended
  the last union meetings led by Ben, so you know that
  Ben et al have come up with a comprehensive and fair
  list of demands.

  Congratulations for Linda and Kathy and Appreciation
  for Stephanie, Sandy, and Ben!!!

  ***If there is any other activity of note that
  people should be congratulated for, just let me
  know.  If we don’t applaud the efforts of our
  fellow lecturers, who will?

  Best,

  Keith Vance

  Director of Computer Assisted Instruction

  Lecturer Representative

Lash Keith Vance, Ph.D., MEd
Director of Computer Assisted Instruction
Department of English
University of California, Riverside

Office: 1103C HMNSS
Phone: 951-827-4832