[Englecturers] Lora Geriguis news

Steven Axelrod steven.axelrod at ucr.edu
Tue Feb 20 12:04:41 PST 2007

Hello everybody:

I'm happy to tell you that Lora Geriguis, who received her Ph. D. from us
and who has been serving with distinction as a Lecturer in our Department,
has accepted a tenure-track position of Assistant Professor of English at La
Sierra University in Riverside.

Lora's dissertation, written under the direction of Carole Fabricant, was
entitled "Bows Without Arrows: The Role of Native Agency in the Travel
Narratives of Daniel Defoe and other English Texts, 1668-1790." Using
postcolonial theory, the dissertation examines the way representations of
native potency in English travel literature of the 17th and 18th centuries
were alternatively used to rationalize colonial appropriation and to justify
colonial violence.

Lora has written to me: "I am keenly aware of how much I owe to the English
department at UCR. So many people, including faculty, staff, my lecturer
colleagues, and previously my fellow students, have contributed to making my
time at UCR not only enjoyable, but profoundly formative. So although I am
leaving, I will always carry UCR along with me."

Please join with me in wishing Lora the very best of luck in her new
position. Among other things, she's going to be Graduate Advisor at La
Sierra. Her email address is Lorag at ucr.edu.

Cheers,

Steve Axelrod

Steven Gould Axelrod