[Englecturers] Query about Ways to teach critical thinking

John Ganim john.ganim at ucr.edu
Wed Apr 4 11:47:20 PDT 2007

Dear Colleagues,

Edward Jones, a UCR English major whom many of us remember fondly, is
now a full-time instructor at San Bernardino Valley College. He has
asked me about how we treat critical thinking at UCR, and has asked
for techniques that we use. If you have any such suggestions, please
feel free to pass them on to Ed, or give them to me and I'll collate them.

We might also consider inviting him to one of our 301/2 sessions or
an appropriate seminar, but I'm not sure which. Also, I don't know
whether his request would fall under the purview of the IAWP or not.

(My understanding is that Critical Thinking as a requirement is part
of IGETC and was developed to accomodate articulation with
requirements for transfers to the Cal State system, but as a result
has become part of the structure of writing instruction at the 2-year
college level).

Best,

JMG

>Hi Professor Ganim,
>
>This is EJ, a former student.  We spoke at Trader Joes last week.  I wanted
>to ask you about a few of the more successful techniques your department
>uses to teach critical thinking.  As a department here, we are having a
>tough time.  Usually, I talk money and use advertising.  Does this ad make
>sense?  What is it saying?  Does what it's saying make sense in relation to
>the product?  I've also created scenarios in class where students try to
>convince me that they deserve an A grade, or pretending I'm a boss, ask them
>how they would convince me to give them a raise.  I guessed students would
>be drawn to these, but I was wrong.
>
>Can you and your department give us a few techniques?
>
>Thanks,
>

>--
>Edward Jones (EJ)
>English Instructor
>909-387-1619
>
>"Sanity is the Playground of the Unimaginative!"

John M. Ganim
President, New Chaucer Society
Professor of English
Department of English