[Englecturers] endowed chair

skay at ucr.edu skay at ucr.edu
Tue Sep 19 18:38:42 PDT 2006

Dear Friends:

Rise Axelrod has just been awarded a a much deserved and well-
earned endowed Chair by the University.  It is the John (some
name I've forgotten) McSweeny Family Chair in Rhetoric and
Teaching Excellence.  There is some irony here since the
University does everything it can to undermine rhetoric and
teaching excellence, but at least they got this Chair right.

I'm not sure what we should do, but I thought it would be
nice to celebrate this honor for Rise with some
acknowledgment from the lecturers in recognition of all her
hard work for us.  We've been very lucky to have Rise as
Director of the Composition program; she has been tireless in
making sure the lecturers have been treated fairly by the
University (and, I may add, by the department).

Does anyone have any ideas - something during orientation?
A standing ovation perhaps?

Stephanie Kay
UC-Grievance Steward