[Englecturers] FW: final exam notice-Basic Writing Instructors

Susan Brown susan.brown at ucr.edu
Wed Nov 29 12:59:25 PST 2006

***Attention Basic Writing/ELWR Instructors*****

  Hello, everyone!

Finals week is approaching and we want to remind
everyone of what our responsibilities will be
that week.  Because the basic writing program
uses a committee-graded final exam, we have to
administer and score the exams as a group.  This
may sound complex and time consuming but it will
not entail any more work on your part than a
final would for any other composition class.  The
difference is that we have to coordinate our
efforts and this means that some of the tasks
have to be done at a set time and place.

The exam time and day will be the same for all of
us-Monday, December 11 from 8-11 a.m.  In your
mailbox today you will find a schedule telling
you which exam room you will be in charge of.  In
addition to administering the exam, we will all
have to meet for a norming session, usually about
an hour long, where we will go over the exam and
some sample responses in an effort to ensure that
we score all exams using the same
criteria.  After the norming session, you will be
responsible for grading the same number of exams
as you have basic writing students-approximately
21 for each section you teach.  We ask that,
because you will not be marking your own
students' exams, you do all grading in the
WRC.  You will find in your mailbox a schedule
indicating the times the WRC will be open for
grading as well as the deadlines for submitting
scores.  In addition to the set times listed on
the schedule, one of us will keep the WRC open on
Monday and Tuesday evening if anyone wishes to
stay late. Finals week is busy for everyone and
we will do our best to make this process as convenient as possible for all.

Thanks to all of you for a smooth and productive
quarter.  We look forward to seeing you on the 11th.

Kathy