[Englecturers] African-American Studies/Visual Studies candidate

Susan Brown susan.brown at ucr.edu
Thu Mar 2 08:55:35 PST 2006

The forth of five finalists for a position in African-American Media/Visual
Culture will be on campus on Friday.  Keith Harris works across
African-American studies, gender studies, and visual culture.  Please come
to his talk - we welcome feedback from all!  (I will forward any feedback to
the committee.)

Keith Harris

Ph.D. Cinema Studies/N.Y.U

Assistant Professor of Interdisciplinary Arts, Ohio University

"This Nigga's Crazy:

Richard Pryor, Racial Performativity and Cultural Critique"

Friday 3:30pm - 5pm

HMNSS 2212 (English Dept. Conference Room)

Professor Harris teaches courses in film studies, film theory, film history,
contemporary American film, and African-American and African Diaspora film
and literature. Professor Harris' primary research interests are in visual
culture (media, film, television and video, especially) and gender and race
and ethical constructs of gender and race found in visual cultural
production. Other secondary interests are Kantian ethics and aesthetics.
Scheduled publications (2004-2006) are "That's my sister, baby,. . `: Pam
Grier and Black Star Intertextuality" (forthcoming in The Blaxploitation
Reader); "'Stand up, boy!': Sidney Poitier, 'boy' and Filmic Black
Masculinity," in Gender and Sexuality in African Literatures and Film; "The
Burden of the Beautiful Beast: Visualizations of the Black Male Body," in
Black American Cinema Re-Visited and the manuscript, Boys, Boyz, Boies: An
Ethics of Black Masculinity in Film and Popular Media. Recent Publications
include, "Untitled': D'Angelo and the visualization of the black male body"
in Wide Angle.

Susan Brown

Department of English

Management Services Officer