[Englecturers] NYU strike support letter to MLA

SBaringer at aol.com SBaringer at aol.com
Thu Jan 19 10:10:39 PST 2006

Forward from Bill Mullen on behalf of MLA Radical Caucus:

It is vitally important that members of the Rad Caucus--indeed of the MLA in
general--express support for the NYU strikers, and that the MLA Executive
Committee be made aware that this support is wide and deep.

The Radical Caucus Steering Committee has drafted this statement in support
of the NYU Strikers:

We the undersigned urge the MLA Executive Council to act in concert with the
previously expressed will of the Delegate Assembly by supporting the request
by striking students at NYU for recognition of their union.  We encourage the
Executive Council to take public positions which will help safeguard the rights
of student employees to bargain collectively and protect them from
recriminations for legal actions taken while seeking unionization.

The Steering Committee suggests that, if you agree, you either (1) send in a
message of your own; or (2) copy out the message above and affix your own
signature  (of course if you want to produce a hybrid, go on ahead!)

The messages should be sent to Rosemary Feal, Executive Director of the MLA.
 Her address is: rfeal at mla.org.

NYU starts up today, which means that the strike does as well.  These
expressions of support need to be conveyed immediately.

- Sandy Baringer