[Englecturers] RE: Ben's Discussing Writing on Demand

englecturers at lists.ucr.edu englecturers at lists.ucr.edu
Tue May 24 12:18:53 PDT 2005

Ben and John,

You are both divine dancers!

Devon
>===== Original Message From englecturers at lists.ucr.edu =====
>Hi Everyone,
>
>First of all, I'm very gratified that we have a discussion on our discussion
list.  We as a program have
been under tremendous stress, such that I feared we had lost energy to think
about what it is we do
(and should do).

>I have to admit that I'm confused about the definition of "writing on
demand."  I had assumed that it
meant writing by hand, in class, on paper, with a very short time limit.  This
email might be a version of
writing on demand in that I'll write one draft, fix the errors I find, and
then perhaps change some
wording, all within 30 minutes or so.  On the other hand, I'll also use the
earthlink spell checking
program to catch my common mistakes, and I have the option of opening a new
window and
researching the topic.

>John's idea about corporate writing on demand is different.  He mentions
proposal and report
deadlines.  In that case, not only were my written PhD exams writing on
demand, but so was my
dissertation (except that I successfully ignored the demand for about six
years).  It is likely that my slow
progress has hurt my academic career, but I had access to spell checking
programs, helpful readers,
and the ability to write about 10 drafts (in various forms).

>I never considered a one-week take-home project, whether it is a paper, a
take-home final, or a
research proposal, to be on-demand writing.   Assuming that employees have two
to three days to
write up proposals, any of our papers is likely to mimic that demand.  Perhaps
one of my students will
actually follow a several-week process of researching and writing, but the
actual writing is likely to take
place over a period of 24 hours--the 12 hours before the rough draft is due
and the 12 hours before
the final draft is due.  That is on-demand writing, but of a different kind
than the in-class final my
students will write.

>This next paragraph is informed by a one-hour conversation I just had
(interrupting my writing) with
Dean:
>I think now that if we teach students to write through a process, they will
be able to adapt that
process to the types of writing they actually do, even to timed writing
situations.  On the other hand, if
we only teach them to write in timed situations, they will be unlikely to
learn how to write through a
complete process.  In that case, process trumps on-demand tests.  However,
timed writings might be
like weight training in athletics (to go with the sports metaphors)--no one
really uses weights in
competition, but lifting weights helps in the actual task.

>I propose we treat in-class, timed writings that include no revision as
weight training--as a secondary
training method, not as an intrinsically important skill.  Oh, and with
interruptions and further
discussion with others, this email took me two and a half hours to finish.