[Englecturers] Post on Literacy: Devon's reply

englecturers at lists.ucr.edu englecturers at lists.ucr.edu
Mon May 23 23:03:56 PDT 2005

Howdy uno mas tiempo,

Since we seem to be in agreement that this listserv is and should be a safe
place to air ideas, I want to briefly (well, maybe not-so-briefly) respond to
John's posting on the pervasiveness of on-demand writing inside and outside of
academia.

 Anecdotal evidence suggests wide differences between on-demand classroom and
on-demand business writing including the use of technology (internet access,
word processing programs), available printed resources, co-worker
collaboration and assistance, and the deadlines, all of which are usually more
readily available and elastic in the business world. Again, in my fourteen
years in the business world, I never saw anything more important than an
internal email (usually corresponding numeric or factual data) requiring
completion in a short amount of time.  Quick, on-demand letters are often
begun with templates that have been customized for particular businesses, and
what looks like a lengthy missive often only amounts to a few lines of
original text. Even a "by the end of the day" deadline is much longer than
what is available to our students in a typical on-demand classroom essay.
Surely the worker may not spend all day on this one project given the multiple
demands in business, but she or he has the ability to consider the task for
some time before actually writing it.

Likewise, it is interesting to ask students the total time they spend on one
typical out-of-class essay; my students routinely tell me between eight and
ten hours total (not counting reading). The other two weeks is spent
ruminating, I suppose. In talking to my family, neighbors and friends who are
deeply involved in many levels of the business world, the consensus seems to
be that high-pressure reports, business proposals (akin to grant writing), and
contracts usually are rewritten numerous times over the course of a few days
or weeks, by various parties in either a collaborative or imposing manner.
These demands do, however, lead to many on-end late nights at the office.
Little of this happens in an academic "on-demand" situation.

More importantly, people writing in the business world often have a deep
understanding of the basic subject matter of their work, something that makes
their writing demands a bit easier to undertake. I do not understand how
presenting students with a somewhat new, esoteric topic and demanding that
they respond in two and a half hours can adequately prepare them for business
on-demand writing unless we are teaching them templates to use (as many
instructors did in the old English 4 and 5 D-courses).

And if we are teaching how to write for a particular writing demand, should it
be  structured in this way? Engineering proposals often focus on gaining
funding for a new idea by explaining the idea and the work-to-date, business
plans look at the past direction of a company and plan for either a
continuation in that direction or a change of direction, and (as my brother's
job requires) business analysts are asked to dissect practices and make
recommendations. These types of writing demands use cause and effect, problem
and solution, evaluation and analysis: similar demands that are echoed in
out-of-class assignments. I suppose they can be echoed in timed writing tests,
but the connection seems a bit more forced for me. Again, all of these writing
demands presuppose the writer's deep affinity with the subject matter; this
familiarity grows with time. I would love to offer a high stakes, timed,
in-class final exam that I could grade in a quick, holistic manner, but my
life experiences (both inside and beyond academia) do not find this very
helpful to the students. Instead, I offer a "deep revision" that demands
significant textual change (to the content) and the inclusion of visual
material as a final exam: this seems appropriate and provides a lesson of what
students should be doing on their own.

Maybe my case is uniquely isolated; if so, and if we are preparing students
for the demands of academic writing, perhaps John is right. Alas, I know of no
studies that support my views of business writing demands, but I know of no
studies that counter them either, probably because I have not researched this
area very much. Anybody up to the challenge in your spare time? How about
academic writing demands: there should be studies of WAC programs available on
ERIC and MLA databases.

To answer the metaphor, perhaps some of us are training and forcing students
to run cross-country instead of the 100 meter dash. There is nothing lazy
about it.

Finally, John I want to extend my congratulations to your recent graduate and
the condolences of my family for your recent loss. If nothing else, maybe this
exchange is a bit of a diversion from everyday life delirium.

Let's keep dancing.

Devon Hackelton