[Englecturers] Post on Literacy

englecturers at lists.ucr.edu englecturers at lists.ucr.edu
Mon May 23 21:24:39 PDT 2005

    Thanks to Ben's response, I now know that the New York Times article I
circulated went out anonymously -- as was not my intention.  I strongly
agree with Ben that all posts should bear markers from their senders.  From
now on I will simply preface all forwarded articles with my name.

     I also agree with the gist and most of the details of Ben's post.  The
main point I think we should consider is that "on demand" writing is
arguably one of the most important kinds of writing we should be teaching,
and that not enough of that type of writing is being done.  I think many
people in the university and beyond would be willing to testify that a good
deal of their writing -- probably most -- is "on demand," including
high-pressure reports, grant proposals, letters, most memos, and so on.  By
their nature, such assignments tend to have inconveniently early deadlines,
if anyone has the leisure to set a deadline.  Engineers spend half their
time writing.  I doubt that the process is typically paced to the
convenience of the writers, or that they routinely have the time to let
drafts sit for revision after the weekend.  If such assignments require
collaboration and rewriting as a result of consultation, most students, let
alone folks in the wider world, know that the deadline has a way of
routinely becoming more urgent than is convenient.  In such circumstances,
revision is often extensive and, given the chronic shortage of time,
amounts to writing on demand.

      If I am wrong in my assumption about the  amount of on-demand writing
being assigned for significant part of the grade in humanities courses (in
composition and beyond) -- an assumption that partly derives from the
survey I sent out a few weeks ago -- I would be delighted to be proven wrong.

     Again, I don't think that the lack of instruction and practice in
on-demand writing is unique to the composition program.  One need only give
a final exam each quarter to notice that most of the other classrooms in
the building are often empty.  If I am not mistaken, we seem to be in an
interesting phase of higher education in which we are increasingly
reluctant, as instructors in the humanities, to give exams and other kinds
of timed writings that carry significant weight.  But are we doing our
students justice if we are not, like good track coaches, sending them out
to a meet on a regular basis?
To change the metaphor slightly, shouldn't we requiring our students to
swim on their own across the pool in "real time"?

      I am distrustful of a principle (i.e., that writing tests are unfair
and so at best should be accidental contributors to the final course grade)
that dovetails too nicely with my convenience.  Why so we not all routinely
hold a final exam when the faculty handbook continues to specify we do such
things -- in the eleventh week?  What is a take-home but another
paper?  (Again, I'm hoping to be proven wrong -- to be convinced, for
example, that take-homes can better than a conventional final because they
are better examples of writing on demand.)  Let us not adopt a principle
that assures high-mindedness while encouraging  laziness.  Without claiming
that anyone else is lazy, I am merely observing that my own love of freedom
and ease, which emerges with powerful claims on my imagination in the
eleventh week, can hardly withstand such a principle unless at the
beginning of the quarter -- every quarter -- I resolve to assign such kinds
of writing.  If enough of us assign significant on-demand writing,
including final exams in the eleventh week, perhaps we can have a good
effect on an unfortunate trend.

John Briggs