[Englecturers] FYI: Writing Centers and Disability (10/1/05; collection)

englecturers at lists.ucr.edu englecturers at lists.ucr.edu
Fri Jun 24 11:10:02 PDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-cfp at lists.sas.upenn.edu [mailto:owner-cfp at lists.sas.upenn.edu]
On Behalf Of James Inman
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2005 6:02 AM
To: cfp at english.upenn.edu
Subject: CFP: Writing Centers and Disability (10/1/05; collection)

Call for Abstracts

Writing Centers and Disability

Deadline: October 1, 2005

Abstracts (approximately 500 words) for potential contributions are invited
for a new edited collection tentatively titled Writing Centers and
Disability. This collection will investigate the vital, but often ignored
intersection of Writing Center Studies and Disability Studies.

Contributions will ultimately fall into three general categories:

* Research on tutoring writers with disabilities,

* Research and narratives of experience of making the writing center space
accessible, and

* First-person accounts, both narrative and theoretical, of the experience
of tutoring a disabled person or of being a disabled person who works in or
uses a writing center.

We invite both writing center and disabilities studies scholars to
participate, and we welcome informal inquiries. We encourage scholars from
both fields to read and reference work from the other field.

We are especially interested in contributions focusing on disabilities that
have not been written about extensively in writing center literature, such
as blindness, mental illness, and conditions that limit mobility and
stamina, especially those that may be perceived as invisible disabilities.
We are also interested in the concept of passing.

Abstracts should be sent to Rebecca Day Babcock at r.s.day at iup.edu, Sharifa
Daniels at sdaniels at sun.ac.za, James Inman at jamesainman at gmail.com, and
Beth Rapp Young at byoung at mail.ucf.edu.

Please include full contact information with your abstract.

                         Full Information at
                     http://cfp.english.upenn.edu
         or write Jennifer Higginbotham: higginbj at english.upenn.edu