[Englecturers] FW: One million to save NPR and PBS? Sign the petition.

englecturers at lists.ucr.edu englecturers at lists.ucr.edu
Mon Jun 20 15:19:57 PDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Noah T. Winer, MoveOn.org [mailto:moveon-help at list.moveon.org]
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2005 11:32 AM
To: Emory Elliott
Subject: One million to save NPR and PBS? Sign the petition.

The House of Representatives is considering massive funding cuts to NPR and
PBS. We want to present 1 million signatures to save public broadcasting in
D.C. tomorrow, and we're almost there. Can you put us over the top?

<http://www.moveon.org/publicbroadcasting/?id=5684-797749-LQlcSidEvnXL72o7pI
E2tA&t=1>

Dear MoveOn member,

In the next few days, the House of Representatives will vote on whether to
slash funding for NPR and PBS. And tomorrow, before Congress votes, we'll
present stacks and stacks of printed petitions and public comments to save
public broadcasting. We'll be joined by members of Congress and the public
TV and radio staff fighting for survival.

Over 817,000 people have signed the petition so far-simply incredible. But
we want to present 1 million signatures to the press tomorrow, and we can do
it with your help. In all our years of online organizing, we've never heard
of one million Americans signing a petition in a week, but we're within
striking distance now.

Help us reach 1 million signers by the end of the day. Sign the petition at:

http://www.moveon.org/publicbroadcasting/?id=5684-797749-LQlcSidEvnXL72o7pIE
2tA
<http://www.moveon.org/publicbroadcasting/?id=5684-797749-LQlcSidEvnXL72o7pI
E2tA&t=3> &t=3

Then please send this message on to your friends and colleagues-it'll take
all of us pushing together to get to the 1 million mark.

Already, the public outcry has delayed the effort to eliminate funding
entirely, but the proposed cuts would still cripple NPR and PBS. The cuts
threaten programs like "All Things Considered," "NOW," "Sesame Street,"
"Fresh Air," "The Charlie Rose Show," and "Clifford the Big Red Dog." In an
era of corporate media, public broadcasting is one of the last places you
can find insightful journalism and educational content. Quality costs money,
and corporate owners are too willing to sacrifice good programming to save a
buck.

If the House passes these massive cuts, we'll fight to restore the funding
when the Senate takes up public broadcasting. But even if we stop the House
cuts, we'll need to make sure Senate Republicans don't try the same thing.

Together, we can stop the House from slashing NPR and PBS in the federal
budget. Can you help us hit 1 million signers today?

http://www.moveon.org/publicbroadcasting/?id=5684-797749-LQlcSidEvnXL72o7pIE
2tA
<http://www.moveon.org/publicbroadcasting/?id=5684-797749-LQlcSidEvnXL72o7pI
E2tA&t=4> &t=4

The stakes are high: some of the best programs on the air are at risk. After
you sign, please pass this on to any friends, family, co-workers and
neighbors who watch or listen to public TV and radio.

Thank you for all you do,

-Noah, Micayla, Carrie, Marika and the MoveOn.org Team
  Monday, June 20th, 2005

P.S. The Sunday New York Times talked about our campaign to save NPR and
PBS. You can read the story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/19/weekinreview/19spam.html

  _____

Subscription Management:
This is a message from MoveOn.org. To change your email address, update your
contact info, or remove yourself (Emory Elliott) from this list, please
visit our subscription management page at:
http://moveon.org/s?i=5684-797749-LQlcSidEvnXL72o7pIE2tA
<http://open.moveon.org/o.gif?id=5684-797749-LQlcSidEvnXL72o7pIE2tA>