[Englecturers] Teaching Evaluations

englecturers at lists.ucr.edu englecturers at lists.ucr.edu
Mon Feb 28 12:53:18 PST 2005

I will discuss this at the faculty meeting next Monday, but with the end of
the quarter rapidly approaching, I wanted to make a general announcement
for the benefit of all English department faculty and lecturers about
apparent changes regarding the use of the standardized teaching evaluations
forms.

Last week there was a Chair's forum on personnel related issues.
Vice-Provost Jury spoke at length, with the support and corroboration of
CAP Chair Amaea Walker, about the evaluation of teaching in the personnel
process. Jury noted that new guidelines would be forthcoming, but indicated
that they would include a much more forceful expectation that all courses
should be evaluated with the university's numerical forms.  They expressed
concern about the need for a general standard of comparison for teaching
and about selective evaluation. Alternative evaluation forms would be
considered, but only alongside the numerical forms. In the future Jury said
there would be a negative assumption about why any given class was not so
evaluated. He said that the failure to use the university forms to evaluate
even a single class would be viewed negatively.

It has long been the department's policy to recognize both the standard
university student evaluation forms and a narrative evaluation form that
was developed within the department. This policy has not changed, but I
wanted to make sure everyone is aware of an apparent, but as yet unofficial
change in the higher levels of personnel evaluation with regard to teaching.

Katherine

Katherine Kinney
Interim Chair and
Associate Professor of English