[Em-announcements] New Campus Instant Messaging Service

Veronica Ruiz veronica.ruiz at ucr.edu
Fri Jan 29 11:44:31 PST 2010

  To all Enrollment Management  Staff:

C&C has recently delivered a campus-wide IM solution for all UCR
staff and faculty called IM at UCR
(<http://cnc.ucr.edu/im>http://cnc.ucr.edu/im). Since 2005, most VCSA
staff have been using an instant messaging service provided by VCSA
Technology Services called Microsoft Office Communicator. While this
divisional solution has served us well, IM at UCR offers a number of key
benefits:
    *  Ability to chat with any UCR staff /faculty
    *  Chatroom capabilities for regular group chat needs
    *  Pre-configured buddy lists for your department and division
    *  User lookup makes it easy to discover any UCR employee and
initiate chat sessions
    *  Works with many common PC/Mac chat clients; there is also a
web-based interface integrated with R'Space forthcoming
    *  Eliminates the cost of running redundant IT systems across campus
Over the course of the next 2 weeks, Technology Services will be
piloting this service with a limited number of users and gathering
feedback. Based on the outcome of the pilot, we will begin the
process of migrating Student Affairs to use the campus IM, and will
eventually discontinue the VCSA IM service.

Please stay tuned in the coming weeks as we send out additional
announcements regarding how and when users will be able to convert to
the campus IM service. We will also send out advance notice as we
schedule deactivation of the VCSA IM service. Our goal is to complete
this conversion by the end of February.

Changes to Staff Experience/Training Resources

IM at UCR has all the features of a modern instant messaging service,
and functions very much like the current VCSA IM service as well as
popular consumer chat programs from MSN, Yahoo and Google. We expect
staff that have used VCSA or other IM services should be able to
begin using IM at UCR with little or no training. C&C also has a robust
support site that provides training materials and outlines the
capabilities of the IM at UCR service:
<http://cnc.ucr.edu/im>http://cnc.ucr.edu/im.

Please feel free to contact me if you or any of your staff have
questions or concerns.

Regards,

-Sean