[DUC] meeting rescheduled

dchen010 at student.ucr.edu dchen010 at student.ucr.edu
Fri Oct 21 14:05:14 PDT 2005

Hi there,

Something happened to my account,and it may take some time to
fix it up. And something else.In case I won't be able to show
up,I'm attaching some comments/advice here.

The draft is well-done.No problem with that except that
initials of the title should be capitalized and duc8 is
better changed to DUC VIII or the 8th DUC. Redundant
comments,I guess.I'm sure you'll formalize it in the final
draft.By the way, I love the mosaic-like design for the
title "breaking it down" in the pdf.The form physically and
humorously explains the content.

Are you going to print out and send it as flyer? Or we can
use both email call and printed call for papers so as to
reach more people. For the e-version,we can use either pdf
file,or,if time allows,a simple webpage,with the title at
top,then a table of content linked to the details page
down.The table of content may include the several items of
the draft like overview of duc/duc background, the primary
concept of duc VIII(breaking it down) and possible/tentative
topics,submission instructions,important dates,and perhaps
two extra parts:program committee(with names and contacts of
the board or committee members,and preferably one or two
faculty members related to the program), and a selected
listing of happenings and achievements of last 7
conferences,so that people will know we have a history and
prestige and will give it more credit.I'm sure everyone will
receive a couple of the like calls per day and won't take
much notice when busy.

If we have an icon(for duc),we may also add it onto the page.

I know everyone is busy during the preparatory stage of the
conference,and i don't mean to complicate things and overload
ourselves.Just a quick idea I came up with that I'd like to
share.A flyer may get thrown away easily, while a
simple,clear webpage may stay longer and reach a large body
of people from elsewhere without ourselves taking the trouble
of traveling physically.

Thanks Jessica and Mark for the great work. In case I won't
be there this afternoon,hope the meeting is both fun and
fruitful.

Duanzi