[ds-undergrads] Work study related scams

Vassilis Tsotras tsotras at cs.ucr.edu
Wed Nov 2 15:49:50 PDT 2022

Dear DS majors,

some of you may have received the information below about employment
related scams that are targeting UCR students right now. Recently I got
a request from a student who was approached about a work study job,
apparently coming from the CS department and indicating me as the
faculty involved (using my picture and a gmail address that had my name,
but which is not my email account). The student was asked to send money
in Zelle and then get reimbursed.

Please read the info below and be careful with such announcements.

"The scammer's typical method is to impersonate someone trusted such as
a professor at UCR and contact the student with an offer of employment.
  The scammer typically contacts the student from a non-UCR email
address and often arranges for communications via text messages.

Please don't fall for these scams.  If you have any questions about the
legitimacy of an offer, contact the faculty member directly at their UCR
email address, which can be found in the UCR Profiles system here:
https://profiles.ucr.edu/app/home

More information on such scams, including how to detect them, how to
report them, and what to do if you are a victim of a scam are available
here:

https://its.ucr.edu/iso-alert/2021/07/28/notice-job-offer-scams-targeting-ucr-students"

best,

V. Tsotras