[CW-Grad] Fwd: ASPB EVENT OUTREACH: BEFORE THE BALLOT

Robin Russin robin.russin at ucr.edu
Thu Oct 18 20:57:43 PDT 2012

Main message: Register to vote, and then VOTE, if you care about the issues facing this school, this state and this country. Your vote could make the difference.

Robin Russin

Associate Professor and Director
MFA for Creative Writing and Writing for the Performing Arts
robin.russin at ucr.edu

Begin forwarded message:

From: Steve Kim <skim131 at ucr.edu>

Subject: ASPB EVENT OUTREACH: BEFORE THE BALLOT

Hello, Professor

My name is Steve Kim, and I am a member of ASPB’s Films and Lectures division. I write to invite you to the Before the Ballot: Gay Marriage Debate event on the 30th of October, at 7:00 PM in HUB302. I also sincerely ask that you notify anybody within your organization and all of your students about this event. With elections looming, it is vital for potential voters, such as our student body, to become more informed about the issues of today. Same-sex marriage is an ongoing civil rights issue with a needed increase in awareness. In 2004, Massachusetts became the 6th jurisdiction in the world to legalize same-sex marriage and at this event, we will hear from 2 of the legislators responsible for that outcome.

For more details, please feel free to ask me questions and/or refer to the official press release:

DID YOU KNOW—Out of the nearly 24,000 students at UC Riverside, less than 10% are registered to vote? The vote that UCR students hold has the potential to decide election winners across the county, but politicians do not spend the time or resources to speak to students because of this reason. We have an opportunity to educate ourselves and play a bigger role in the decision making that will not only affect the quality of our education but the quality of our lives.

UCR’s Associated Students Program Board (ASPB) presents Before the Ballot—

A political speaker series, taking place Tuesdays in October leading up to the 2012 election on November 6.

10.30: Gay Marriage Debate | 7PM | HUB302

http://www.facebook.com/events/454292791275983/

The debate started out small and for a time, it was mostly confined to the courtroom. All that changed on February 4, 2004 when the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court ruled that full equal marriage rights for gay couples was constitutional, opening the door for same-sex marriages across the nation. Hear from two key players, a former six-term State Senator and the Majority Leader for the Massachusetts House of Representatives, as they tackle the debate over gay marriage.

Feautring:

Cheryl Jacques: six-term Massachusetts State Senator and President of the Human Rights Campaign

John H. Rogers House Majority Leader for the Massachusetts House of Representatives

----

REGISTER TO VOTE!

Get informed and register to vote! Visit http://vote.ucr.edu/ -- The last day to register to vote in the upcoming General Election is October 22nd, 2012.

-- Associated Students Program Board

Get more information about ASPB and upcoming Campus Entertainment events online:

aspb.ucr.edu | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr

Attached are the bios for our 2 political speakers for the night: Cheryl Jacques and John H. Rogers. So please, tell your classes about this event and also encourage them to go out and vote!

Best,

Steve Kim

--
Steve Kim