[CW-Grad] From Susan Straight - Check out a new way to support foster youth!

Robin Russin robin.russin at ucr.edu
Thu Feb 16 15:48:27 PST 2012

I don't usually forward things that pertain to fundraising, but these are our fellow faculty and really great students, one of whom is a Creative Writing major (!)  She's wonderful.  I support these guys every year.
All best,
Susan

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Tuppett Yates <tuppett at ucr.edu>
> Date: February 16, 2012 11:42:16 AM PST
> To: Tuppett Yates <tuppett.yates at ucr.edu>
> Bcc: gailarose at yahoo.com
> Subject: Check out a new way to support foster youth!
>
> Hello Friends and Colleagues!
>
> In just two short weeks, I will be heading off to the UCR Dance Marathon to dance for 6 hours to raise money for the Guardian  Scholars program, which supports former foster youth at UC Riverside. I founded this program 4 years ago to help provide financial, academic, and emotional support to students at UCR who have emancipated out of foster care. These are kids without families or the resources they can provide, and they overcome tremendous odds to go to college. The Guardian Scholars Program helps support these young people by offering them year-round campus housing, financial support and financial aid counseling, assistance buying books and computers, academic advising, and monthly social events and family-style events at the holidays.
>
> With just a little help, these hard-working young people can be amazing and successful. Thus far, our Guardian Scholars are graduating at a rate equal or greater to that of their non-fostered peers (we have 3 students graduating this spring :-) ). Several of our students have been recognized for their service in the community and a few are already on their way to graduate study in law, education, and social work. Please help give these deserving youngsters a chance to study at one of California's top universities and benefit from the rewards of UCR life and, ultimately, a college degree.
>
> I am writing to ask for your support to help us reach and EXCEED our goal!!!
>
> All ya gotta do is:
> Go to: http://www.crowdrise.com/UCRGS and click DONATE
>
> Even small donations are a big help during these lean times. Every cent of your tax deductible donation goes directly to the Guardian Scholars Program at UCR.
> If you can, please consider donating $5, $10, or more.
>
> For more information about the Guardian Scholars, please see http://guardianscholars.ucr.edu.
>
> Thank you for considering this invitation to step up and make difference!
>
> Your friend and colleague,
> Tuppett
>
> PS. I actually can't dance at all, but I promise to stand around or at least shuffle awkwardly side-to-side if you support us ;-) -- Oh, but check these folks out, cuz they CAN dance --- it's the UCR Dance FLASH MOB -- http://vimeo.com/36129987
>
> PPS. I realize that group emails to ask for donations are super tacky, but it is for a good cause and I promise not to do this to you more than once/year :-)
>

> --
> Tuppett M. Yates, PhD
> Assistant Professor of Psychology
> Director, Adversity & Adaptation Lab
> Director, UCR Guardian Scholars
> University of California
> Department of Psychology, #3111H
> [...]

Robin Russin

Associate Professor and Director
MFA for Creative Writing and Writing for the Performing Arts
robin.russin at ucr.edu

"Hunger is the best spice." - Spike Spiegel in "Cowboy Bebop," written by Keiko Nobumoto