[CW-Grad] A lot to read through, but worth it: paid teaching/publishing opportunity

Robin Russin robin.russin at ucr.edu
Thu Feb 2 13:22:33 PST 2012

Hi all--

This seems worth a serious look, especially for nonfiction folks.

Robin

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rae Gouirand <rgouirand at memoirjournal.com>
Date: February 2, 2012 1:14:00 PM PST
To: Robin Russin <robin.russin at ucr.edu>
Subject: Re: UC-Riverside / Memoir Journal partnership?

Hi Robin--

Indeed there is (and I did cover it, further down in my last email). We usually run the (In)Visible Memoirs program via a grant-match model, but the San Joaquin/Inland Empire workshops we're trying to start setting up will be entirely grant funded, enabling us to sponsor workshops with orgs and populations that might not otherwise have been able to provide a match. I can't guarantee an exact stipend at this time, because we're still finalizing the exact budget for the program, but it would not be less than $600 for 20 hours of teaching (most instructors schedule their workshops in ten 2-hour sessions), and it could well be more; there will also be some provisional funding for instructors who lead workshops in especially remote areas (as we have an interests in running at least a few workshops on reservations). We'll know our exact numbers in June when the grant becomes official, but that $30/hour stipend model is a baseline. Participating instructors design and teach workshops with specific populations in their communities, and get paid/included in a nationally distributed anthology for it--it's a pretty great match for writers at MFA programs; grad students are traditionally the backbone of our program (though not the only writers who teach for us).

I'm at the stage right now where I'm trying to get in touch with orgs/writers/departments all throughout the area to begin getting prospective instructors talking to me about workshops they'd like to set up, because the program will hit the ground running later this summer. We'll be funding 24 workshop series a year over the next two years. I've already talked with a number of people in Riverside, and would love to reach as many as possible--so please do have your students get in touch with me ASAP if there is interest among them. And do let me know if you have any more questions!

All best -
Rae