[CW-Grad] Fwd: a Chinese translation workshop

Robin Russin Robin.russin at ucr.edu
Sun Sep 26 21:51:23 PDT 2010

Just got this in-- check it out! Might not be too late.

Robin

Begin forwarded message:

From: <tomlutz at ucr.edu>
Date: September 26, 2010 9:48:58 PM PDT
To: Robin.russin at ucr.edu
Subject: Fwd: a Chinese translation workshop

Not sure if this got through last time. ...  Back in e-contact, home in a few. T

From: Perry Link <perry.link at ucr.edu>
Date: September 22, 2010 11:12:52 AM PDT
To: tiffany.long at ucr.edu, tom.lutz at ucr.edu
Cc: Stephanie Hammer <stephanie.hammer at ucr.edu>
Subject: a Chinese translation workshop

Dear Prof. Lutz and Ms. Long,

	I write at the suggestion of your colleague Stephanie Hammer.

	In Comparative Literature this quarter we are hosting a professional translator-in-residence named Austin Woerner, a recent graduate of Yale, who translates both poetry and fiction from Chinese to English.

	As you no doubt know, translation between languages as different as Chinese and English is a complicated matter that involves not only technical skills but philosophical questions about "What is Translation?" and even "What is Language?"

	Austin is going to run a workshop for anyone--students or faculty--who might be interested, and we would welcome friends from Creative Writing.  Each week Austin will pick some bit of Chinese literature--a poem, a couple of pages of fiction, or the like--and have everyone in the group translate it, separately, and then come back the next week to compare translations, to discuss the choices a translator is obliged to make, and from there, no doubt, to philosophize about the nature of language.  It should be fun.

	There is no requirement to come to all the sessions.  It is fine to drop in or out any time one likes.

	Graduate students in Comp Lit who want to do the seminar for academic credit can do so by signing up for independent study and writing a paper on one's personal philosophy of translation.  Creative Writing students probably don't need this, but would be welcome if they wished it.

	Could you please convey this invitation to your Chinese-reading students and colleagues?  If someone is interested, please tell him or her to email my by the end of this week, Friday, Sept. 24.  Please also SAY WHAT TIMES during the week the person COULD NOT come.  When these data are in, we will pick an optimal time to meet.

All best,  Perry Link, Comparative Literature

Robin Russin

Associate Professor, Department of Theatre
Director, MFA for Creative Writing and Writing for the Performing Arts
robin.russin at ucr.edu

"Hunger is the best spice." - Spike Spiegel in "Cowboy Bebop," written by Keiko Nobumoto