[CW-Grad] New MFA Introductions

Andrea Gutierrez astridrea at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 15:16:48 PDT 2010

Great idea, Melissa!

Hi, I'm Andrea Gutierrez, a first-year. I've just moved back to SoCal from
Berkeley where the spent the last three years working at UC Berkeley and
generally running amuck around the Bay Area. I grew up in Orange County (OC,
not *the* OC), where my family still lives, attended Scripps College in
Claremont for undergrad where I earned my BA in German Studies in 2004, and
am somewhat astonished that I'm back in the IE for grad school. My focus is
Nonfiction, though I was drawn to the cross-genre nature of the program at
UCR and will make my way around if given the chance. These days I spend my
time contemplating how not to get killed while biking Canyon Crest,
reminding myself that I'm back in the land of hot summers and I don't need
that sweatshirt, and trying not to get jacked by internet providers.

I should probably also mention that I magically ended up as the Graduate
Student Association Academic Affairs Officer for CHASS, so I'd imagine I'll
be working with Melissa, among others, this coming year to bring our issues
to the GSA.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Andrea

--
"There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful
than the risk it took to blossom."