[CW-Grad] Perhaps of interest: CFP for grad panel at Inscriptions conference

Robin Russin robin.russin at ucr.edu
Mon Nov 29 08:46:55 PST 2010

FYI

Begin forwarded message:

From: James Lin <james.lin at ucr.edu>
Date: November 29, 2010 8:39:43 AM PST
To: chass-faculty at lists.ucr.edu, chass-nsfaculty at lists.ucr.edu
Subject: [Chass-faculty] Fwd: CFP for grad panel at Inscriptions conference

CALL FOR PAPERS

Inscriptions: The Material Contours of Knowledge
March 10 and 11, 2011
University of California, Riverside

Keynote Speakers:
Adrian Johns, University of Chicago
Jerome J. McGann, University of Virginia

Conference Speakers:
Malcolm Baker, Heidi Brayman Hackel, Luisa Calè, Adriana Craciun, James Davies, Jody Greene, Kirsten Silva Gruesz, Randolph Head, Miles Ogborn

CFP: Graduate Student Research Panelists

This multidisciplinary humanities conference will explore the material dimensions of inscribed knowledge, from roughly 1660-1850. Drawing on a diverse range of methodological approaches, scholars working in Geography, History, Literature, History of Art, and Music will collectively address the role of material inscription in the formation, or deformation, of knowledge before the emergence of modern disciplinarity. “Inscriptions” is the final event in an international series beginning in London in 2009, The Disorder of Things: Predisciplinarity and the Divisions of Knowledge, 1660-1850 (http://ideasandsociety.ucr.edu/disorder_of_things/index.html).

As part of this conference, we seek brief presentations of graduate research from any humanistic discipline/s that engages closely with the conference’s intellectual goals. Instead of finished conference papers or seminar papers, we seek 10 minute workshop presentations that focus on a specific instance, object, or problem, to open up a larger discussion of how the materiality of knowledge forms a significant part of the dissertation or research project. Ideally, presentations will anchor a broader, theoretical or disciplinary inquiry in material specifics, and will benefit from the feedback and discussion of senior and younger scholars from diverse disciplinary backgrounds.

Possible kinds of inscription to consider include graffiti, tattoos, manuscripts, books, drawings, maps, sculpture, structures and other objects. We will also consider the physical circuits and practices (i.e., manual, technological, social, institutional) through which such inscriptions traveled. How do such material sites and practices intersect with the emergence of disciplinary boundaries? How does the occlusion or foregrounding of the materiality of inscription help account for the disciplinary shapes into which these diverse forms of writing have been subsequently categorized? Finally, what insights can digital humanities offer us into the neglected properties of such material inscriptions? A material approach to inscriptions, we hope, will reveal alternative contours of knowledge that do not conform to current disciplinarity, but might reveal new dimensions in current divisions of knowledge.

“Inscriptions” is funded by the University of California Humanities Research Institute and the College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences at UC Riverside. The conference is free and open to the public, and online registration is now open. We will provide graduate panelists with a complimentary hotel room for Friday March 10, and conference meals.

Conference Organizer: Prof. Adriana Craciun
Submissions: Please email a 200 word abstract and 2 page CV by Dec. 20, 2010 to Adriana.craciun at ucr.edu

Adriana Craciun
Professor of English
Department of English
University of California, Riverside
Riverside, CA 92521, U.S.A.

Co-Organizer, The Disorder of Things: Predisciplinarity and the Divisions of Knowledge, 1660-1850. A Series of International Events
http://ideasandsociety.ucr.edu/disorder_of_things/

Name: Inscriptions grad panels cfp.pdf
Type: application/pdf