[CW-Grad] Fwd: CPLT Winter seminar on the literature of Paris

Robin Russin robin.russin at ucr.edu
Thu Nov 18 23:33:37 PST 2010

Via Prof. Lutz-- this looks like a very cool seminar!

Begin forwarded message:

From: <tomlutz at ucr.edu>
Date: November 18, 2010 4:53:40 PM PST
To: robin.russin at ucr.edu
Subject: Fwd: CPLT Winter seminar on the literature of Paris

From: Heidi Brevik-Zender <hbzender at ucr.edu>
Date: November 15, 2010 4:39:55 PM PST
To: tom.lutz at ucr.edu
Subject: CPLT Winter seminar on the literature of Paris

Dear Professor Lutz,

I will be offering a graduate seminar next Winter that is on the literature of late-nineteenth-century Paris.  Please find below a description of the class which might be of interest to some of your students.  I have had the pleasure of working with grad students from Creative Writing in the past and would be delighted to welcome more next quarter.  Please feel free to circulate to parties that you think may be interested.

With thanks and best wishes,
Heidi

CPLT 277-1 – Paris, Capital of the 19th Century
Professor Heidi Brevik-Zender
Taking as its point of departure Walter Benjamin’s well-known formulation of Paris as the capital of the 19th century, this course will focus on the complex literary construction of French modernity in the nineteenth century read both through and against Benjamin’s modernist construction of the period. Topics explored include post-Romanticism aesthetics, industrialization and Haussmannization, fashion, the expansion of mass culture, the flâneur, decadence, symbolism and the emergence of modernism. Primary texts by authors such as Balzac, Baudelaire, Gautier, Zola, Rachilde, Maupassant, Mallarmé, and Benjamin.

Heidi Brevik-Zender
Assistant Professor
Director of French
Department of Comparative Literature and Foreign Languages
University of California

Associate Professor, Department of Theatre
Director, MFA for Creative Writing and Writing for the Performing Arts
robin.russin at ucr.edu

"Hunger is the best spice." - Spike Spiegel in "Cowboy Bebop," written by Keiko Nobumoto