[CW-Grad] Colloquium!

b b bonnieandclyd at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 22 15:40:02 PST 2010

Colloquium is this Thursday, February 25 at 7:10 in ARTS 335.

Readers include:

ARETHA- FICION

KAITLYN- NON-FICTION

CHING-IN- POETRY

BONNIE-POETRY (Does someone else want this time slot?  Let me know.)

THE NEXT COLLOQUIUM IS THURSDAY, MARCH 4.  Email me if you'd like to read.

EXCERPTS FROM LAST COLLUQUIUM:

"In the dream he was afield righting fenceposts of gray birch.  Along the fence weeds grew long and the wind sawed their blades together.  He drove the last post home and turned to survey the land and saw a crop of teeth rising from the gray dirt.  As he watched, the teeth grew up to his thigh and he ran his hand along the nearest and held it like an ear of corn, bending to his touch.  He gathered his tools wet with blood from the ground and was homeward when he first saw the storm."

from Above All Men

by

Eric Shonkwiler

Saturdays

It’s seven in the morning and the smell of spicy chorizo frying—invades my dream. Near the kitchen I hear my little sister reciting the catechism to my grandmother, blessed art thou amongst women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb. My mother cracks the eggs into the pan of cibola and green serrano chilies. The smoky burning smells of tortillas cooking on the comal finally awaken me; soon we will eat before heading to a long day of work in the apple orchard again. I lie on the couch and dream a little longer, dressed and ready for work, but not really. I want to stay home today; I want to sit on my porch and read Lorca, Machado, César Vallejo to the cars as they pass. Mijo ven a comer, I hear in the far off distance, Ven a comer, the words call to me, I dream of walking the streets of Paris and my melancholy death in the year ahead, as I lay dying on the Champs-Elysées, suddenly a pantufla bounces off my forehead and abruptly I am standing in my living room, rubbing my head as I see my mother walk back to kitchen grumbling to herself flojo.

by

Scott Hernandez