[CW-Grad] 2010 February ARTS Walk -- with Writers!

Robin Russin robin.russin at ucr.edu
Mon Feb 1 22:11:57 PST 2010

 I encourage faculty and grad students to attend and suggest they share the event with their undergrad students!

SPONSOR LINKS
BBK Attorneys

Heyday Books

Riverside Arts Council

UCR Creative Writing
SPONSOR LOGOS

Thursday
February 4, 2010
6:00 p.m.

February ARTS Walk
UCR MFA Creative Writing Readings

Riverside Main Library
3581 Mission Inn Ave. | Riverside, CA | 92501
Each month, the Inlandia Institute features the work of the talented student authors and filmmakers from the colleges and universities from our region. This month we are featuring the following amazingly talented poets and fiction writers, many already award winning published authors, from the University of California's Masters in Fine Arts Creative Writing program:  Angela Thomson-Brenchley, Victoria Barras Tulacro, Judy Soo Hoo, Aviva Kasowski, Alison Minami, Jie Tian and much more.

Poets and Fiction Writers
Aviva Kasowski is from a suburb of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  She has lived in New York City, Riverside, on a kibbutz in Southern Israel, and currently resides in Los Angeles.  She is a poet, screenwriter, and all-around Renaissance woman who is currently working on a young adult novel.  She has written nonfiction articles for Jewcy and Zeek.

Alison Minami is an MFA graduate student in fiction at the University of California at Riverside. Formerly a high school teacher, she has taught collaborative writing and performance workshops with The Asian American Writer's Studio, The Queens Public Library, and The Gluck Foundation for the Arts. Currently, she is working on a collection of short stories. She hails from Brookline, MA.

Judy Soo Hoo, an MFA candidate in fiction at the University of California, Riverside, writes fiction and plays. Her work has been published in Bold Words and Santa Clara Review.  She grew up in New Mexico and is working on a novel set there titled George.

Jie Tian is an MFA candidate in poetry at UC, Riverside. A native of China, she came to the US in the early 1990s, and is now exploring her roots and inheritance, memory and migration, and the nature of art and poetry through her writings. Her work has appeared in Cloudbank, Pearl, Verdad, and is forthcoming in Squaw Valley Review. She has been awarded with residencies and/or scholarships from Hedgebrook, Djerassi Resident Artists Program, Fine Arts Work Center, and Poet's House.

Victoria Barras Tulacro is a poet who writes fiction.  Despite a deep and ironic disdain for snow, she is a life-long resident of the Wrightwood mountains and much of her work is rooted in the contradictions of the High Desert.  Her most recent publications can be found in Southpaw and The Farallon Review (forthcoming in Spring 2010).  She is currently working on her first novel, Pink Is For Girls.

Angela Thomson-Brenchley writes poetry, fiction, and essays.  She grew up in Northern Utah, but now calls Inland Southern California home.  Recent work has appeared in Ekphrasis and Fifth Wednesday.  After graduating this spring with an MFA in creative writing from UCR, she plans to work with non-profit organizations offering workshops and readings to promote the literary arts in the Inland Southern California region.

For more information about the UCR MFA Creative Writing Department, please visit creativewriting.ucr.edu/

INLANDIA INSTITUTE
4178 Chestnut St. | Riverside, CA | 92501
(951) 369-1564
inlandiainstitute.org

Robin Russin

Associate Professor & Graduate Advisor