[CW-Grad] Congratulations

Bala Rajasekharuni bala116 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 17 17:28:13 PDT 2010

--- On Fri, 4/16/10, Robin Russin <robin.russin at ucr.edu> wrote:

Dear Chuck,

Bala here. Congratulations on this success:-)
I hear so many good things about your film,
can't wait to see your film on DVD soon:-)

Best wishes.
Bala.

From: Robin Russin <robin.russin at ucr.edu>
Subject: [CW-Grad] Fwd: Evered piece on AOL News today and Tomorrow
To: "cwgrad-announcements Gradlist" <cwgrad-announcements at lists.ucr.edu>
Date: Friday, April 16, 2010, 1:01 AM

Go Chuck!

Begin forwarded message:
From: CBEvered at aol.com
Date: April 15, 2010 9:56:35 PM PDT
To: robin.russin at ucr.edu
Subject: Fwd: Evered piece on AOL News today and Tomorrow

From: CBEvered at aol.com
Date: April 15, 2010 9:55:00 PM PDT
To: CBEvered at aol.com
Cc: abgriffith at comcast.net, alicia at capemaystage.com, amevered at gmail.com, BGfanSpark at aol.com, bonesrn at yahoo.com, carolyn.stark at ucr.edu, catk0n at mac.com, chane at cpcentertainment.com, charles.g.rucker at ampf.com, Chris_Palmeri at businessweek.com, christina.youhas at ucr.edu, bclavenna at gmail.com, dedie at carrollonline.com, dogarion at gmail.com, DoubleBco at aol.com, eric.barr at ucr.edu, emailmarktaylor at gmail.com, tomloueve2 at msn.com, fardon1023 at yahoo.com, BroadwayPl at aol.com, jacques22 at earthlink.net, jakob.modeer at gmail.com, jayekko at yahoo.com, jim at fallproductions.com, joy at stingers.com, jwestfeldt at gmail.com, kathleen.deatley at ucr.edu, kcramer at alumni.flagler.edu, drfkennedy at sbcglobal.net, kevinontheriver at gmail.com, Larry.Daniels at doj.ca.gov, larrycedar at gmail.com, lee.neuwirth at verizon.net, amyrosecane at yahoo.com, macleod at kenyon.edu, marc.longlois at ucr.edu, SandK at sover.net, melisa.vicario at ucr.edu, martyjamesinc at hotmail.com, marybjo at verizon.net, mclemmer at ucr.edu, Merrfolk at yahoo.com,
 mharding at ucr.edu, michael.molinar at ucr.edu, Morgan at WhitebridgeFarmProductions.com, mose1959 at earthlink.net, muldoon at princeton.edu, MURUN at aol.com, okeefe at northjersey.com, patricia.allen at dsusd.us, paulcohenfilm at gmail.com, aucape at earthlink.net, dianepaulus at hotmail.com, pfilichia at starledger.com, nap3 at verizon.net, rhonda at whitestarmgmt.com, RobinESimmons at aol.com, HeidiBSimmons at aol.com, robroberge at gmail.com, roy at capemaystage.com, Roymaral at aol.com, ken at rosyfinch.com, sfargo at paradigmagency.com, sharmastro at gmail.com, WMastro at aol.com, skrieger at ucr.edu, stephen.cullenberg at ucr.edu, susan at gurmanagency.com, susanleibowitz at yahoo.com, swhitty at starledger.com, tmcb at erols.com, tod.goldberg at ucr.edu, traceys at ucr.edu, vicbeck at verizon.net, Visualeyesprod at aol.com, wbrooks2 at gmail.com, Wrubes at aol.com, ydani001 at student.ucr.edu
Subject: Evered piece on AOL News today and Tomorrow

hello all! Please see below, running tomorrow on AOL
News,
Chuck wanted to make sure you had a copy, all
best,
Wendy

Hollywood Warms Up to
the Military

 Updated: 5 hours 13 minutes ago

By Charles
Evered
Special to AOL News

(April 16) -- It amazes me
when I read accounts today of the comparatively non-acrimonious relationship
that existed between the military and the Hollywood establishment of yesteryear,
particularly before the war in Vietnam.

Reading accounts of major stars
who joined up to fight during World War II, of socialites and actors in Los
Angeles establishing the Hollywood Canteen and encouraging the mingling of those
who serve with those who portray, boggles the 21st century mind.

Ethan Peck, above, stars along with Emmy
winners
Bebe Neuwirth and Peter Coyote in
Adopt a Sailor,
written and directed by Charles
Evered
One need not go into a long treatise about
why this doesn't happen anymore. Wars are different now. It is -- at least on
the surface -- a more complicated time.

So when I started to travel with
a tiny budgeted film I wrote and directed called "Adopt a Sailor," I girded my
loins and readied myself for a gantlet of rolling eyes and exasperated sighs of
indifference.

I had myself lived in both worlds, having joined the U.S.
Navy Reserve at a comparatively old age (in my mid-30s). My recruitment began as
I toured an aircraft carrier in San Diego while writing a script called
"Carrier" that I had sold as a pitch to DreamWorks. I met kids on that ship who
were just 18, making an annual salary of what would constitute a week's stay at
a high-end hotel on Central Park West or in Santa Monica. I was humbled by their
dedication -- and since my life had become nothing more than sitting around and
whining at Starbucks about the state of my career, something in me seized on a
chance to break out of my own complacency.

After I joined, some of my
friends were supportive, while some of them where aghast. One asked why I would
"want to take a step back like that." An actor (and ex-friend of mine) said that
he thought my joining was the same as "ending up a garbageman or something."

So when I got the opportunity to write and direct a little film about a
sailor from Arkansas who spends the evening with a sophisticated couple from New
York City, I harbored no illusions about it jumping into a "Juno" stratosphere.

On paper, the film is almost unmarketable -- mostly dialogue, no overt
political ax to grind, no drug deals gone bad, no effects per se, no sex, no
overt auteur directing style. (I studied with George Roy Hill at Yale, who said,
"If you want to direct, find a compelling story, hire great actors and get out
of the way.) My expectation was that we'd screen the film for patient friends
and my stunned agent on a white sheet strung across the living room at my
producer's house.

Miraculously, however, great actors did agree
to appear in the film, including Emmy winners Bebe Neuwirth and Peter Coyote,
who worked for about one-sixtieth of their usual salary.

And then it
went on to screen at more than 20 national and international film festivals, won
a couple of festival awards, garnered a distribution deal of its own and
actually started to get seen by people. Was it "Juno"? No. But it wasn't on a
white sheet in the living room either.

My heart was reinvigorated by the
number of people who gave our "little film that could" a chance. People who put
aside their own sometimes reflexive aversion to all things military and related
to our little story.

The truth is, "Hollywood" -- or what that word has
come to represent -- isn't as close-minded as lots of people make it out to be.
The town was fair to us.

And for a brief moment in time, I thought I saw
-- reflected in the response to my little film -- a vision of what our country
could be. Less divided. More integrated philosophically and, more important, on
the mend.

Charles Evered is a writer and director who lives
in Los Angeles and Princeton, N.J. He served in the U.S. Navy Reserve, ending up
a lieutenant. His feature-film directing debut, "Adopt a Sailor," will be
available on DVD from Echo Bridge Entertainment on April 20. The film stars
Peter Coyote, Bebe Neuwirth and Ethan Peck. For more information about "Adopt a
Sailor," go to www.adoptasailormovie.com.

END

Robin Russin
Associate Professor & Graduate Advisor