[CW-Grad] Re the 280 colloquium

Robin Russin robin.russin at ucr.edu
Sat Sep 26 00:50:41 PDT 2009

Hi all--

Great party tonight--many thanks to Susan for hosting again. And
wonderful to see some of our third years and recent alumni there, as
well as the newcomers and continuing students.

For those who couldn't make it, there will be another get-together on
campus in October.

To the point: I have learned that maybe we need to change the name of
the Colloquium, which appears to be confusing people... no, it is not
a Roman orgy, perhaps to the disappointment of some.

The Colloquium is simply a reading series, for you to be able to read
a sample of your work to your colleagues, followed by a discussion
(not a crit). This will give you practice for when you (we all hope)
read to audiences at bookstores or other events. It's also a great way
for students who might not otherwise have the chance to get to know
each other's work. There is no grade, just S/NS for one unit.

The way it works, usually three readers will sign up for one of the
ten sessions, and three people will do brief introductions for one the
readers. You can read poetry, a short story, a chapter of a novel, or
bring in actors to do a short play or a section of a script.

Julie Cline has generously offered to be the organizer and keeper of
the list, so contact her and sign up for a date to read or introduce a
reader (Holly, will you help get her started?). I encourage those of
you who haven't to sign up and participate.

Associate Professor & Graduate Advisor
robin.russin at ucr.edu

"I try all things; I achieve what I can." - Ishmael in "Moby Dick,"
written by Herman Melville

"Deserve's got nothin' to do with it." - William Munny in
"Unforgiven," written by David Webb Peoples