[CW-Grad] Attention Writers: The Deportee's Wife, November 16, Monday, at noon

Robin Russin robin.russin at ucr.edu
Tue Nov 10 13:01:13 PST 2009

This may be of real interest to those of you in Juan Felipe's class
and those doing playwriting and creative non-fiction--

Robin

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Marcelle Chauvet" <marcelle.chauvet at ucr.edu>
Date: November 10, 2009 12:30:55 PM PST
To: "'Eric Barr'" <ebarr at ucr.edu>
Subject: You are invited to the show: The Deportee's Wife, November
16, Monday, at noon

Latin American Studies Program and the Department of Theater at UCR
present:

The Deportee’s Wife

a play by Giselle Stern Hernández

When: Monday, November 16 at noon
Where: INTS 1113
Free admission
Facilitated Q&A after the show

In this solo show, Giselle Stern Hernández 's marriage is laid out on
the front lines of the North American
immigration debate. Giselle's husband Roberto was deported from
Chicago, Illinois back to Mexico in April
of 2001.  Giselle moved to Mexico to live with him in August of that
same year.  While she was born and
raised in the States, and they were legally married, it didn't make a
difference at all; her husband was
deported anyway, with the order to stay out of the U.S. for twenty
years.

And then there came the day that he wasn't allowed to enter Canada.

Through images and her words, she tells their unforgettable story.  In
THE DEPORTEE'S WIFE, Giselle
brings a clear, distinctive and personal voice to a complicated issue
that's often swept away between sound bites
and political promises.
Giselle tells you a love story you'll never forget.

To watch a very short video that introduces some of the themes raised
in the show, please click on the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS843AI_gDA&feature=related

Here is video (also very brief) of clips from a performance in
Minnesota this past April: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62VhJlgUhk8&feature=related

For more information about the artist go to: www.gsternhernandez.com

Eric Barr, Professor & Chair
eric.barr at ucr.edu
951-827-6488
http://theatre.ucr.edu
www.actingis.com

Robin Russin

Associate Professor & Graduate Advisor
robin.russin at ucr.edu

"I try all things; I achieve what I can." - Ishmael in "Moby Dick,"
written by Herman Melville

"Deserve's got nothin' to do with it." - William Munny in
"Unforgiven," written by David Webb Peoples