[Cwgrad-announcements] SUBMIT NOW: 23 Dreams of Sarah Palin (or maybe 109...): Addendum

Brenda Varda bvarda at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 14 15:10:35 PDT 2008

For those in the writing mood - think of it as 23 Dreams of Sarah Palin -
non-linear is encouraged.
Interested not just in S.P. but in the conditions that bring somebody like
her to the fore, and the underlying social psych that makes her inescapable.
Outside the box is 'in' for this particular project: less sketch, more
theatricality in word and image.

I'm coordinating an evening at Unknown Theater in Los Angeles -  tentatively
titled "23 Dreams of Sarah Palin".  We're squeezing the show in on
off-nights and late nights in the three weeks before the election.

ALL SUBMITTED PLAYS WILL BE POSTED at www.23degreesofsarahpalin.com .

Also looking to HAVE OTHER THEATRE COMPANIES IN OTHER CITIES JOIN IN THE FUN
and produce from the set of scripts that are generated..

Submit: NOW and deadline is September 23, 2008:

We're looking for 1 -7 page plays (or 30 sec to 5 minutes) - not necessarily
'well-made', non-narrative more than acceptable.

Monologues and 2-3 person preferred, but will consider other configurations
(7 actors at most, and then only for effect)

Low tech required, but props and costumes can be imaginative as long as they
are inexpensive.
We will have several sizes of an identical Sarah Palin costume.

Movement oriented and music encouraged  (could be a song or musical number
if charts are provided).

Please do not restrict 'Sarah' characters to white women over 40.

Dreams by Sarah, of Sarah, about Sarah, not being able to get to Sarah,
never Sarah, without Sarah, who's Sarah?,
being Sarah, avoiding Sarah, Sarah past/present/future, wishing Sarah into
the cornfield..

Multiple Sarahs, alternate Sarahs, Sarah's Children,  Sarah and the Supreme
Being, No Sarah, Que Sera?

Political orientation open.  Really.

Unknown is in Los Angeles and is currently running my play "Fables du
Theatre" -  P.R. for a moment -

"GO!"
"AN ASSAULTIVE TOUR DE FORCE"
"JAW-DROPPING CREATIVITY"
"AN UNPREDICTABLE THEATRICAL EXPERIENCE
THAT DOESN'T JUST BLOW OUT THE FOURTH WALL,
BUT HITS THE FIFTH AND SIXTH WALLS AS WELL."
-LA WEEKLY

Once the proper show gets underway, Lewis turns Varda's intricate script
into a series of nested realities and violated expectations, more
reminiscent of the late Andy Kaufman's performance art than a classically
well-made play. Whether it stretches your imagination or drives you crazy
will depend on your tolerance for chaos and indeterminacy. The less you take
at face value here, the better. Especially here.

 Philip Brandes LATIMES

ONLY TWO WEEKS LEFT to see Fables du Theatre!  Commercial over.

But we do create imaginative and experimental work.  And have some amazing
actors.

So Sarah it up.  Email submissions only to
<mailto:varda at unknowntheater.com> varda at unknowntheater.com  .    And check
out the site.  <http://www.unknowntheater.com> www.unknowntheater.com

Brenda Varda

New Play Development