[Cwgrad-announcements] Flash Fiction Fellowship

Tod Goldberg tod.goldberg at ucr.edu
Thu Nov 20 17:58:01 PST 2008

The excellent flash fiction journal Smokelong Quarterly have announced a new
fellowship program for writers previously unpublished in their pages - take
a gander if you're interested. And if you like, I encourage you all to visit
Smokelong.com - some very work indeed is published there.

Details below:

It seems that many awards in people's names are established posthumously.
We're ecstatic that we can recognize Kathy Fish while she's still very much
alive and kicking. As she stepped down as our Fiction Editor, we at
SmokeLong wanted to recognize Kathy's enormous contributions to the magazine
and to the writing community as a whole. In particular, Kathy has always
been a great champion of new writers and has exhibited an uncanny talent for
finding previously unpublished writers whose work just shines.

We want to foster that sort of commitment to new writers, and in that vein,
we created the Kathy Fish Fellowship. All writers previously unpublished in
SmokeLong Quarterly are eligible to apply. Following are the guidelines for
application and the terms of the award itself:

Application Guidelines
1. Applications should be emailed to fellowship at smokelong.com.
2. Applications should include five samples of your flash fiction (stories
of a thousand words or less). These samples may be unpublished or previously
published in venues other than SmokeLong. We'll be reading these to get
impressions of each applicant's writing. The writing samples should, as a
whole, best reflect your ability, style(s), etc. Show us who you are as a
writer through these samples.
3. Applications should include a few paragraphs (under a thousand words
total) about what you hope to accomplish in the next year with your flash
writing. Are there specific elements you want to improve? A larger story you
want to tell through a series of flashes? Help us learn how we can help you
realize your goals should you win this award.
4. Samples and paragraphs about goals, etc. should be included in the body
of the email, rather than as attachments.
5. There is no application fee.
6. Application deadline is December 20, 2008.

Fellowship Awards
1. The winner of the 2009 Kathy Fish Fellowship will be considered a "writer
in residence" at SmokeLong for each of the four issues to be published in
2009. Each issue will include one flash by the Fellowship winner.
2. The winner of the Fellowship will receive $500.00, to be paid as follows:
$100.00 on announcement of the winner, and $100.00 upon publication of each
of the four issues in 2009.
3. The winner will be announced January 20, 2009.

Again, this award is open to any writer not previously published in
SmokeLong Quarterly. It is not restricted to writing program students (as we
are all, in some way, students of writing), although we will certainly be
distributing this announcement to various writing programs. We also
encourage teachers of writing to pass this announcement along to their
students.

We're looking forward to reading your applications, and we want to once
again extend our deepest gratitude to Kathy for all she's done for SmokeLong
and for writers of flash fiction. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Kath.

Previous Fish Fellows
2007: Beth Thomas
2008: Stefanie Freele

Tod Goldberg

Administrative Director

MFA in Creative Writing & Writing for the Performing Arts

UCR Palm Desert Graduate Center

75-080 Frank Sinatra Drive

Palm Desert, CA 92211

Tel. 760-834-0928