[Cwgrad-announcements] Attraction play

Ching-In Chen chinginchen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 12:21:07 PDT 2008

Dear UCR MFA community!

Here's more info on the Cornerstone Institute play I've been involved with
-- hope to see you at one of the performances!

xoxo,
Ching-In

             [image: Artwork by Qathryn Brehm]
Artwork by Qathryn Brehm
   attraction
Written by:* Page Leong
*Directed by:* Michael John Garcés

Explore what draws people to place, to one another, and what pulls them
apart, at the intersection of an urban global village experiment- at
Traction Avenue. Dive in to our neighborhood's kaleidoscopic spirit, its
magic, history and mystery.

Cornerstone Theater Company*
DATE: August 7, 8 & 9
TIME: 8:30 PM
LOCATION: 708 Traction Ave, Downtown LA
TICKETS: Pay-What-You-Can with a Suggested Donation of $20
TO RESERVE: Call 213-613-1700 x 814
or to purchase $20 tickets go to
[image: Brown Paper
Tickets]<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001fxLDhmpZqJdl34n8vfakS0PONrjJyKkVuSRG5PZOcT_4HaVHt0OZGSfy8Oc7zyfQ6G9qaLXbQXf6HYTAC0phYWvrCUg--kaMBkWUg0mP-VV456XKwrAq0Z8fYhXNBcC2vUq95-RItKdEyGMNSUPKOQ==>

Plan your evening in the Arts District!
Check out our website<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001fxLDhmpZqJe26ibVR4vaL7hZF1FqYJYF-Ypc6j0e3zsNNqY6wxbU_EsN5kZNzolryhzV-KqWrPGXv3wN_hTe8Ip6_RvZyCd6B0QZsRjOPhcYH_IW7rWdyke8UXM_pxIDaB_T48xf37ihmlJH5x8RRb16cuDVIcmseaSMNCB2UXXhYXAZD78JI1I2ogz5lRsT7koQhLtnsS4BJz-jQR1FhW5ydVlfD2PSj3Crwbya7QU=>for
dining options

  [image: work!]<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001fxLDhmpZqJeATzBcuCNcbh1s2vb4lun5CQ6hHZz-ZONhbHRgdOE_ZkOM8z_WIoSbcxY1DaVVcPqt9TC1VytcSgkYMieI3bJZrsJTR8Kvhcz0Lz-ntlNL6IUqsMyqxAjagPWx_tHvnqUY5Jbze8AyZyItNue1_4Kun87qpuHZeaMTs9WDnbjEu2kc4JxKW_UiIQPYqpTWm-fknItD5ZSd4JgaZOZJVz0MCCZin3mteBY=>
attraction is part of Cornerstone's Institute Summer Residency

Cornerstone Theater Company moved to 708 Traction Avenue in the downtown
Arts District in 1999.  And although we've been creating community-specific
theater in Los Angeles and nationwide since 1986, we have never worked
specifically with our own neighbors.  Until now.  As part of our Institute
Summer Residency, Cornerstone happily presents  attraction, a play with and
for our neighbors about life on Traction Avenue.

Community partners include Art Share Los Angeles, Groundwork Cafe, the
Japanese Catholic Center, and the Los Angeles Downtown Arts District (
www.LADAD.com<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001fxLDhmpZqJeL_TgaZ9Ticqji0FhOsEqeF3qm4JSsmMu7kKJJ5USuGY6wzWTfjYXk0R-56rZlXf678J0ne1I_r2sqyPAhv-IHqZWIbfIQku4=>).
Residents of the American Hotel and loft-dwellers have shared their stories,
as have gallery owners, police officers, a housing developer and many
artists.  Many of them are appearing onstage in the play.

attraction is part of Cornerstone's Institute Summer
Residency<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001fxLDhmpZqJdQi_WqemFbeYZmW_L9eQnsOw17L3Xo15UyqcuQ8j2YMNCeIY5NsQkqmBBmvg7iy4g4heoXNsUTwTg1uX2VeLncBqArMtFDNA2AInr8Pzwu-s4wLQJS_nKzDCBJtEhSMpIa9nIbgdfmlj8b36T0lhgoHrTJoPKiyzpqvXhKgZxL2_9gDddhOKDPlffCDcsADZq33Ffi4stahPnA2-IfaTsHTqwgjEh-hPw=>which
brings artists, educators and activists together from all across the
country (and a few international folks as well) to learn and experience
Cornerstone's process of community collaborative theater-making. Institute
students and some of our staff are living together in lofts just blocks from
Cornerstone, sharing meals together and working long days in preparation for
the three performances.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
   Visit the I-5 Blog

The I-5 blog documents this Institute process:
www.CornerstoneInstitute5.blogspot.com<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001fxLDhmpZqJf4p8CIi04s5GgLDlxgip9TrYa_cgTwdQJK8SDNtQ5tMzc67QzHSyfQey8pX0Sd8yiXtKkCjqM6CHyhfa1IzsQsUOH-Oqx8OyZK69MXr75J-dJUkEcaQ31VBVIc4_yletU=>

Excerpts from the blog:

"As you may or may not know, our upcoming production of *attraction* has
several film sequences and on Day 2 of shooting, I was on the crew for the
"Myrine and Manny making eggs in a microwave at the American Hotel" scene.
We follow Myrine and Manny from the window of Manny's apartment, out through
his wall to wall, floor to ceiling LP and CD collection, other assorted
music equipment, stack of hats 4 feet tall, leopard bed, leopard folding
chair, room/closet arrangement, out through the hall, through the people who
may be hanging out in the American Hotel, up the stairs, into Myrine's
apartment and as she gives us a tour of her room- of her "library and
garden" extension on her windowsill, her kitchen, "walk-in-closet", her
bicycle, her badminton racquet and assorted photographs and art pieces, we
learn how to scramble eggs in a microwave... This whole process is a funny
meeting of worlds. Here we are, albeit relaxed, flexible and ever grateful
to be allowed into these intimate spaces and still, foreigners in spaces of
comfort - creating a world within a world. Maya's (the actress playing
Myrine) boyfriend is in the hallway constructing her bed so they can loft it
and maximize the available space in her tiny room. "This is real life" she
tells us. He becomes one of our favorite parts of the film sequence."

*D'Lo's Five Senses Writing Exercise from Peter Howard's Story Circle class,
Day 6, I-5*

*I realize that me being dark, brown, bald, hip hop, boi, gay, silver
jewelry n nose rings can be a combined look that intimidates. I understand
that my smile can shift people out of their intimidation in a snap.*

When I think of I5, I smell mayonnaise, theatre, sweat, coffee, perfumes. I
see white women, open hearts, expertise, Andres and love. I hear
ernest-ness, laughter, white folk talk, thoughts, yawns. I taste coffee,
sadness, sweat, hot sauce, plastic pen. I touch hands, sweet faces, white
girls hair, sweaty skin, eyebrows.