[Cwgrad-announcements] FW: Thank you, new book, new press

Amanda amandal at ucr.edu
Tue Jan 15 07:45:39 PST 2008

The project reunites old friends and pillars of the poetry community
For Immediate Release
Contact: Anne Driscoll 781.592.5651 anne.driscoll at verizon.net

CAMBRIDGE - Kathleen Spivack, a Fulbright professor in Paris, Pulitzer
nominee, author and international writing coach, Ifeanyi Menkiti,, owner of
the Grolier Poetry Book Shop, the oldest continuous bookshop devoted solely
to poetry in the country and Karyll Klopp, an illustrator and designer who
founded the poetry publisher Pomegranate Press, are longtime friends whose
deep roots in the poetry tradition of Boston date back to the late 60s when
they hand- printed the work of poets like Archibald MacLeish in the basement
of Lamont Library at Harvard. Their latest collaboration is Kathleen
Spivack's newest collection of poetry Moments of Past Happiness edited by
Menkiti, designed by Klopp, published by Earthwinds Editions Press and to be
released at a book launch on November 10, 2007, from 2:30-5:30 pm at The
Democracy Center, 45 Mt. Auburn St. Cambridge, MA 02138.

Spivack, a friend and student of Robert Lowell who has written about
workshop members Anne Sexton and Sylvia Plath, has been hailed by Stanley
Kunitz as a poet whose own work is "rich in feeling and texture,
compassionately aware and vividly articulated."  This newest collection is
Spivack's sixth book and a return to the small independent press poetry
tradition of Eliot and Pound. "I'm thrilled to be working with old friends
on this new project that takes us all back to our poetry roots," says
Spivack. "We've had our share of hard times. But somehow, throughout the
decades, we've believed in our work as well as that of other artists and
managed to keep on creating."
Klopp

*********************************

Just a note to thank you for sharing a Moment of Present Happiness with me.

My new book, Moments of Past Happiness, is out and oh, I hope you like it!
It makes a nice affordable gift, is selling quickly  ---and  has already
been nominated for some things.  I'm available for readings, classes, and so
forth too. It's been great working with old friends; Ifeanyi Menkiti,  the
editor of this new  press, and Karyl Klopp,  a world class designer.

We hope independent poetry bookstores -- and small presses- and literary
writers and readers --  survive. It's in all our interests. There's are so
many threads to the rich tapestry- (or knotted tangle!)-- of the writing
life. Thank you again for sharing it with me: it means everything.
All best wishes for your work as well;
Kathleen
-Kathleen Spivack. 53 Spruce Street .Watertown, MA,  02472. USA .Tel: (617)
 926-1637. kspivack at earthlink.net

Order Info:
$16.50 color/illus. + shipping charges
**************************
www.grolierpoetrybookshop.org    grolierpoetry at verizon.net      Tel:
617-547-4648
www.earthwindseditions.com      karyl at earthwindseditions.com  Tel:
617-889-0253
www. spdbooks.org    spd at spdbooks.org

Here are some early reactions from poets I admire.....
"Those of us who know and love Kathleen and her work have been waiting for
years for this new collection of poems. Please support this new venture from
Grolier Books, and Kathleen, and order this collection of poems for yourself
and everyone on your holiday gift list!   The poems speak to us all, in a
voice that's courageous and direct and warm and deeply human."
Cecilia Woloch

" I was thrilled to receive the book from Grolier's yesterday evening.  It's
a delight...and I'm enjoying it immensely.  The conception is brilliant.
"My Man Quilt" is a gem-and there are many fine others I haven't gone
through carefully yet.  Each poem is a discovery.  Thank you for writing
this extraordinary book. "
D. H. Melhem, Ph.D.