[Cwgrad-announcements] FW: writers week intros, etc

Amanda amandal at ucr.edu
Mon Jan 14 08:24:26 PST 2008

To All Our Colleagues and Graduate Students:

Chuck and I would like to invite you to participate in
Writers Week, as ever, by introducing a writer you enjoy, or
chairing a panel, or picking up a writer at the airport (few
of the latter opportunities may exist, as not many are
coming from far away) or hosting said writer you've
introduced at lunch or dinner.

We'll try to keep the lunches and dinners close by and
inexpensive, and first it would be good to get an idea of
intros, etc.

Here's what I have so far, and please add your desires to
the list:

Tuesday Feb 5 is Pitt Poetry Day, and I believe Chris
Buckley is in charge of the lineup and the panel, so I'll
call him and see what his thoughts are on that...

Wednesday Feb 6, intros are open for Gordon Johnson, Judith
Freeman, and Catherine Allgor.  (I just heard from Judith
Freeman that she may have trouble staying for the panel, so
I might ask someone to step in on that.)

Thursday Feb 7, intros are open for Chris Abani.  I believe
Michael Jayme would like to introduce Alex Espinoza, and
Dwight Yates for Marisa Silver.  I've asked Gayle Brandeis
to moderate the panel on Coming to California.  Robin Russin
will introduce the film that evening.

Friday Feb 8, Noel Mariano has spoken for David Hernandez,
and Michael Jayme would like to introduce Tod Goldberg.
Intros for the LA Noir people are open (Denise Hamilton,
Naomi Hirahara, Emory Holmes II, and Diana Wagman) and each
writer is reading for only about ten minutes, so they'd be
brief intros.  Anyone interested in moderating the panel?

I have no idea who is introducing Joyce Carol Oates, since
that's the Chancellor's Lecture.  Seriously - not sure how
that one works.

Thanks very much,
Susan Straight