[Cwgrad-announcements] FW: Call for Papers: Catastrophe and Conversion: Political Thinking for the New Millenium

Amanda amandal at ucr.edu
Fri Jan 11 15:59:50 PST 2008

From: "UCHRI" <uchri at uci.edu>

If you have trouble reading this email, go to the online
<http://app.bronto.com/public/?q=message_preview&fn=Key&type=tracking&id=bxy
khjtpoxxrpfxrmhdbrhrkmvjtbam&link=blphraaohexmrusvslfxmmmkxlribbf>  version.

CALL for PAPERS
Deadline for submission of paper proposals: January 18, 2008

Colloquium on Violence and Religion Conference 2008

CATASTROPHE AND CONVERSION

POLITICAL THINKING FOR THE NEW MILLENIUM

f726df.jpg

University of California, Riverside

June 18-22, 2008

SPEAKERS
Jean-Pierre Dupuy (Stanford / Ecole Polytechnique)
René Girard (Académie Française / Stanford)
W. J. T. Mitchell (Chicago / Editor-in-Chief, Critical Inquiry)
Gianni Vattimo (Turin / Member of the European Parliament, 1999-2004)

This conference will address many issues of current concern in the
humanities, arts, and social sciences. The idea that we live in a world ever
more susceptible to the ravages of man-made catastrophes is linked with the
religious notion of conversion as a metaphor for the changes in attitude and
outlook that will be required in order to survive in increasingly uncertain
times. In a post-9/11 world, the static logic of mutually assured
destruction has been replaced by a dynamic, asymmetrical threat emerging
from the shadows. At any moment a catastrophe could occur, without warning
and without redress. Our ability to prepare for and cope with this new
threat is one of the great political and social challenges of the
twenty-first century. This conference will thus deal with ways of
understanding the root causes of violence, with particular emphasis on the
anthropological and sociological dimensions of conflict, and on the theories
of René Girard.

For more information, please visit our Website at:
http://www.ideasandsociety.ucr.edu/covr/
<http://app.bronto.com/public/?q=link&fn=Key&id=bxykhjtpoxxrpfxrmhdbrhrkmvjt
bam&link=bsndoyddarbmvomydclnsuexafbfbob>

To unsubscribe, please click
<http://app.bronto.com/public/?q=landingpage&fn=Mail_LandingPage_Link&id=bxy
khjtpoxxrpfxrmhdbrhrkmvjtbam&type=tracking&page=directunsub&sid=agpgkpxfbdvg
ezeeyeuvbrfvlfrebal>  here.

<http://app.bronto.com/public/?q=link&fn=Key&id=bxykhjtpoxxrpfxrmhdbrhrkmvjt
bam&link=bcfmfjkytprscztqcjckipcmfyctbel> f7275c.jpg f7279b.jpg